Asset Manager is Here (BACK IN BETA)

You can do so by going back on the main asset manager window and right clicking the folder

There definitely should be a better way to do it, like right-clicking while inside the place folder. General complaints I have really of the new asset manager is that my workflow is now almost double or triple time slower using this. I’m sure it might get faster once I get used to it but these little things adds up and I hope they can add some needed quality of life enhancements.

It also seems like they did not fix this package issue either, which is a big problem.

2 Likes

That’s such a bad User Experience, I didn’t even know I could right click

4 Likes

I assumed I would be able to create a new place by right clicking in the place content area (but not on a place) within the places folder, but got this error message:

1 Like

That’s actually pretty weird, I tried right clicking but didn’t work lol
Could have been some rare occurance I guess.

This is awful and unpractical, it takes way more effort to do things now.

7 Likes

As with most posts in this thread, I have now encountered an issue with the Asset Manager that is a regression from the Game Explorer and directly hinders work.

I can’t see my images anymore if I upload them using Bulk Import until I restart Studio. Not to mention every time I open the Images folder, my console is flooded with ContentProvider:PreloadAsync errors.

This really hinders my workflow because my images are not easily identifiable by name, and I’d like to be able to see what they are in order to copy the Asset Id.

This was not a problem with the Game Explorer because I could see a little preview of the image, even if it hadn’t passed moderation yet, which let me tell apart my images before copying the id.

All the pictures seen here have passed moderation, but don’t show up because I haven’t restarted Studio.

11 Likes

So, it has been said a few times in this thread already but I feel as though I need to mention it as it impacts me and my work directly. In the game explorer I was able to drag and select, shift-click-shift select, and basically work with large amounts of content easily. I am unable to do this currently. I have an import of 80+ meshes that takes considerably longer to ‘import with location’ now because I cant simply select all the newly generated meshes in the asset manager. Please fix this.

4 Likes

I don’t really like it, especially for the alphabet-sorting system. We could choose or switch between alphabet-sorted and date-sorted. When I import a mesh, it takes me more time bringing it in game instead of before, only because of that. Also, maybe a possibility to change the icons ? Or maybe even better, instead of folder icons bringing a sound icon for sounds, mesh icon for meshes, etc.

Perfectible. But as a developer, i’m admirative to any dev. work. Continue that, don’t let it as it is !

2 Likes

This has really been messing with my workflow. I like the idea of alphabetical sorting, but I feel that it is pretty useless. There should be an option where it sorts your assets based on when they were uploaded, so I can find my recently uploaded assets easier. Also when I click “Insert With Location”, it should automatically select all the MeshParts inserted in the workspace (Currently it only selects one). I used to be able to do these things with the game explorer.

2 Likes

oh my god, please bring game explorer back. this thing is turning 5 minutes of work into 20 minutes… :sob:

6 Likes

Sweet mercy who thought that this was ready to release?

Is anyone that designed this aware just how many unique meshes alone some games can contain, let alone total assets? Dozens; hundreds, if I may make a conservative guess.
Add subfolder support; add drag selecting and Windows Explorer style view options (thumbnail, list/details, etc.) Why are the thumbnails spaced so far apart as is? No one is going to care about this amazing alphabetical sort and filter feature if we have to squint to tell the difference between “meshpart blob 1” and “meshpart blob 2”. Doesn’t help that longer names are truncated.

Interface is clunky. There is a slight but very annoying delay when opening the right click menu.
The right click menu itself is not intuitively organized. Why is the top option to delete the asset? Wouldn’t the most common action players perform on assets be to insert them into the workspace?
I suggest a revised right click menu order:

• Insert
  • Insert With Location
  • Copy ID to Clipboard (actually, the ability to copy the ID to your clipboard by selecting the asset and pressing CTRL+C would be sweet
  • Rename Alias
  • Edit Asset
  • Remove from game

Look, I like what you all have supposedly planned for this, but at the moment it feels like we have all been forced to abandon Game Explorer, which while not perfect was functional, for something that feels like an incomplete demo. I’m not alone in this, listen to the replies here.

For the sake of the sanity of every developer here, I hope additional updates are coming soon.

13 Likes

Asset Manager has negatively impacted our workflow, here’s a sample of the main issues we are encountering.

1. Increased screen usage. Pixels are important and the increased screen space required to navigate the menu has forced us to constantly hide and unhide the menu during work.

2. Truncated asset names make it really hard to differentiate between two similarly named assets.

3. Searching manually for assets feels clunky and slow. Previously I could instantly find my recently uploaded assets by scrolling to the bottom of the list.

The ideal fix for us would be to imitate the old game explorer file structure into this menu:

In the meantime, please let us roll back to the game explorer. It’s slowing down our workflow and making the studio experience particularly abrasive. I’m looking forward to the advanced features this menu will offer, but right now it’s not ready for enforced use in my opinion.

18 Likes

WHY, it was so much better to be able to directly upload dev products and whatnot via studio

1 Like

I wonder when they’ll write a reply. I can hardly find a positive reaction to this change.
Edit: I’m worrying that all of this will be overlooked and the update will stay.

2 Likes

so how do I upload badges now though
the option from the site only allows badges to be added if the game is active
are you telling me I have to enable my game, add the badges, then close the game now?
this doesn’t seem like it was ready for release

2 Likes

Yeah and I thought the new leaderboard had a mixed reception, but the only positive feedback I’ve seen here seems to be from people who didn’t use the Game Explorer in the first place.

Roblox seems pretty stubborn when it comes to changes like this, like the leaderboard changes I mentioned. Questions regarding new features and updates on this platform are answered, but only if they aren’t related to asking if we can even temporarily go back to an earlier version.

The tree overview does make it look like there will be subfolder support, but again, it should have been included upon release.

1 Like

@rachjumper, not technically. Games have to be public in order to upload the badges. It cannot be archived throughout the game’s status, although you do not have to close the game. The game still needs to be public in order for badges to be filled in.

used to be able to just pop in open in studio and bang bing boom got a badge uploaded, this seems like a step backwards
I don’t want people to see or have access to my game before it’s out, just because I need to upload a bunch of badges

3 Likes

Please allow us to choose whether we want to use Asset Manager or Game Explorer.

2 Likes

This feature was just put back into beta, and the Game Explorer seems to be back?

2 Likes