Atmospheric fog should take height into account

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to add convincingly accurate atmospheric fog to large scenes, due to the fact that it does not take altitude into account when figuring out the fog density for a given pixel.

For example, take this screenshot from a demo level I use for testing new rendering features:

As you can see on the large mountains far off in the distance, the density of the fog is at its peak even at the, well, peak of the mountain. This is very inaccurate since as we know from real life, atmosphere density decreases with increasing altitude. This inaccurate fog not only makes the mountains look strange, but also the clouds behind them since they are not affected by fog at all (nor should they be since they’re high in the sky!)

For a much more desirable result, take a look at this composite image I put together in Photoshop where one screenshot with fog and one without are blended together using a linear gradient to simulate increasing altitude.

Much better! The mountain peaks are no longer cloaked in fog and accordingly the clouds behind them look much less out of place.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because backgrounds and high altitude areas in my scenes will no longer be cloaked in fog that shouldn’t be there, making them look much better.

62 Likes

Thanks for this feedback and for sharing the visuals to help us understand your use case. Will pass this along to the right team.

34 Likes

Adding on to the request, we would appreciate if the height value wasn’t fixed and developers had access to changing it, since it might allow for scenes such as this to be made:

chrome_YyHbw9mHtT

28 Likes

Has there been any response on this? It’s been a while we could use a quick update please

2 Likes