Auto-Localization for Developer Products

Hey developers,

We’re excited to announce that the text contents for the following assets will now be automatically localized based on the player’s locale:

• Game name & description
  • Badge name & description
  • Developer Product name & description
  • Game Pass name & description

If you followed the launch of Automatic Translation for games, please note that we have improved the experience since that launch. This is a much smaller follow-up feature to help games even more with international expansion! :slight_smile:

If you have any questions, please leave them in the thread below.

Thanks,
The Roblox Team

111 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Is this disablable?
Does it fall into the same choices as the Automatic Translation for games?

I would rather disable it.
Why?

I am already enough paranoid of Roblox moderation with language barriers, I would rather just keep everything in English.

If I wanted to, I could just translate them myself to Portuguese, as I speak Portuguese natively.

Like me and many said, automatic translation just sucks. It already gets a bunch of stuff wrong and/or out of context, and I don’t want it to be wrong in one language,
making a staff member think I wrote something when I didn’t.

There are already many examples of this happening with online translators.

For the most part, I know it’s paranoia, and I know probably something like this woudn’t happen, but I’m just super scared of Roblox moderation in gerenal that stuff like this just eeh… I don’t know, I don’t wanna get banned for something I didn’t do…

52 Likes

Appreciate your hard work. Just hope it doesn’t go the other way, as it has for several front-page games and their strings.

8 Likes

While I heavily disagree with automated translations, I do hope (for the sake of those who will use it) that the launch won’t end up as disastrous as it was with the automated translations. Some games that I work with still deal with the aftermath of the launch.

11 Likes

On any TextBox or TextLabel in a game, you can go to the “Localization” section in the properties and uncheck “AutoLocalize”.

3 Likes

Oh ok… hm. Thanks for letting me know I guess.
Anyways, I wonder if auto-localization for these developer products are any different.

We have gotten a lot just today, like 4, that’s a lot.

4 Likes

This is fantastic, but could we have an option to disable game name translation while keeping everything else? Branding is one of the most fundamentally important aspects of game development and getting your name out there, and enforcing language translations on it would really affect its recognition poorly.

6 Likes

There’s been quite a few updates this month! Perhaps a new record for this year? :thinking:

Impressive! Thanks for everything you guys do!

5 Likes

The topic here is on

Game name & description
Badge name & description
Developer Product name & description
Game Pass name & description

and for these, the moderation system is automatic - a bot, which will hashtag anything it doesn’t like. I wouldn’t worry about any moderation unless you’re truly doing something against the “Terms of Service”. Whatever language Roblox automatically translates your input on names and descriptions to, isn’t your fault.

3 Likes

I support this on all text contents mentioned except for game name. We give our games specific names and I don’t think that should be changed regardless of what language the player prefers.

4 Likes

There is a separate setting for automatically translating game name and description

8 Likes

I think there should developers should be able to disable this feature, as some players might purchase a product with a misleading description/title due to bad translation.

10 Likes

What if I would like an automatic game description translation but not game name? This is really the only one from all described in the main post that I’d like to see split into two different options; game description translations are fantastic, but in some games (my games for example) game name translations wouldn’t be so great.

3 Likes

please dont make this automatic!
a robot is not a good translator, it cant understand the context or tone of whats being said.
please make it toggle on not default

7 Likes

This is actually really cool I think this is a great update and will be handy for international players.

1 Like

I need some clarity here.

1. Has this update been enabled across every existing game?
  2. If this had not already been enabled across every existing game, will that soon happen?
  3. Is Auto-localization enabled by default on new games created?

I did not see exact answers to these questions.

I am especially concerned for if auto-translation will be enabled for every game.

5 Likes

Ditto, it’d even be nice to have some sort of markdown to specify strings I don’t want to translate in the description as I, as well as many others, use brand specific terms in our description.

3 Likes

Thank you, your hard work is appreciated.

1 Like

Here are more details for how this feature works. Users will get access to this feature if their game is enabled for Automatic Translation.

Translation on these products will be generated if the following preconditions are met:

Game information

1. The “Game & Place Information” setting highlighted below must be enabled for the target language.
  2. There is no translation history for the universe name/description for the target language. No matter if the translation is auto-generated or user-generated.
  3. The user must manually modify the name and description of the game to trigger the auto-translation.

Game products

1. The “Game String & Products” setting highlighted below must be enabled for the target language.
  2. There is no translation history for the game product’s name or description for the target language. No matter if the translation is auto-generated or user-generated.
  3. There must be a change(user manually modify) to the name and description or directly create a new game product to trigger the auto-translation.

4 Likes