AutoLocalize should not default to true

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to clean up my scraped text so I can localize my game, or have automatic translations work properly.

Currently AutoLocalize is true by default, which means every single field in user facing UI that is automatically populated by script is automatically scraped and dumped unceremoniously into a giant heap of strings that make no sense.

A huge amount of UI in my game is generated by script, which means fixing this is going to be an absolute nightmare. I now have to track down every label in my game, instantiated, created by code, or cloned from template.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to explicitly opt labels into translation, rather than the other way around, which generates untold levels of noise in the translations panel and immense development effort to clean up if you started building your game without thinking about localization.

37 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

The scraped text warnings are actively hindering my development, making the output unusable until I go out of my way to disable AutoLocalize on any text UI elements.

1 Like

I understand that Roblox would prefer that all experiences come “localized by default” with the new automatic translation tech, but we should be able to turn off this behavior on a case by case basis per game because this is still continuing to be catastrophic for me. I cannot find the time (or attention span) to clean up this mess and as a result my game sees inappropriate strings automatically translated, and my translation portal is a disaster of accidentally scraped user generated strings, making it hopeless to browse.

Generally, I think being able to customize instance defaults within a place would be powerful and convenient for other reasons as well. It would reduce place portability WRT publishing between place slots, but this is satisfiable with supporting infrastructure for copying game settings.