Automatically generate thumbnail + icon for old games with more than 1k visits

The thumbnail update was to ease moderation on inappropriate thumbnails, but we were left with a lot of old games where the owners quit or haven’t bothered to retrofit them like this.
It’s particularly annoying in the favorites tab.

Simple solution could be that when a user visits a games page with a thumbnail like this, if the game has over 1k visits it prompts an automatic thumbnail submission. If by chance there’s a game that has an inappropriate thumbnail generated from the camera, it’s moderated anyway and the game closed.

21 Likes

I don’t think that a required amount of visitors is needed. Automatically generated thumbnails/icons are already made even if they aren’t used.
Roblox should just give all games without a thumbnail/icon the automatically generated one.

The thing is with the amount of places people publish, moderating thumbnails can be a tremendous task.
Especially with the instanced places that can be any assortment of creative building games people build innappropriate stuff in.
You’re able to fetch thumbnails on the site from ingame to display to others- someone made a “camera tool” that operates in this manner as well for the brief time auto thumbnails and instanced places simultaneously existed.

This same tech allowed people to bypass decal moderation, make something naughty and have it as an asset available for anyone to see. It was also a pain for devs that use the instanced place feature to moderate inappropriate thumbnails generated by the users making instanced places.

I’m all for this, but where exactly will the camera be within the game?

The thumbnail shot could show nothing and face a wall, be outside of the actual game (where you’re not supposed to be) or worse yet, show later parts of a game.

Like a spoiler of sorts.

Putting a camera in at a random coordinate at a random angle certainly won’t work, so what would?

I’d love to see this, but I’m not sure how it would really work. It sounds nice conceptually, but how would it look like in practice?

1 Like

It would display the latest camera position when the game was last edited, like how thumbnails were made before Roblox made the auto-generated ones and how non-picture thumbnails are still made.
Most likely, since these games were made before Roblox made the auto-generated thumbnails and icons, if this were added, the thumbnails would appear as they intended when the games were originally made.

2 Likes