Automatically Smooth Out Imported Heightmap Terrain

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create aesthetic terrain imported from a heightmap due to it’s rice-paddy-field-like, terraced surface.

Just take a look at this image:

Notice how the terrain is terraced, with a section of flat terrain suddenly dropping down and becoming flat again.

But why do this? Instead, automatically smooth terrain out, so that it appears similar to the terrain Roblox generates. Here’s the heightmap I used for reference:

Low quality heightmaps could easily have a glow-up just by having this one feature. It could begin to look like this:

Smooth, without terraces, rather than this:

Just bumpy and unsightly.

Something related: if Roblox were to have imported heightmap terrain already be filled in from below, this wouldn’t be so much of an issue. It would be even easier to make the terrain smooth. See this sister topic: Fill in Air Below Imported Heightmap Terrain

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to create more realistic looking terrain without terraces, and instead smoothed out hills like naturally generated terrain or hand-made terrain.

4 Likes