Automatically unlist topics hidden by the community flags

As I said in my post, you are essentially giving the users a “Vote for Deletion” button. I believe that this should be reserved for trusted individuals with a good reputation and experience to prevent abuse.

I appreciate your feedback and I’m glad that you trust the community. Popular forums like Stack Overflow implement a similar reputation-based moderation system. These methods have been tried and tested. Unfortunately, it’s not a good idea to give so much trust to the community in an online forum.

1 Like

Flags are “Vote for Deletion” buttons too, but they let users keep arguing and discussing without hiding the posts and, for the same reason, flodding the forum and hiding good topics

My suggestion, in few words is:

Unlist topics hidden by community to let high quality posts come up to surface and let DET determine correctly if the posts is good enough to the forum.

1 Like

On Stack Overflow, trusted users are able to suggest edits to posts and to change the tags to increase the post’s quality. I think that we need more editors, and we need to give the editors more abilities. If we have more editors, they will be able to monitor topics for quality, and suggest edits to increase their quality. I think it’s unnecessary to unlist posts, rather they should be improved by trusted individuals in hte community.

Can’t you just ignore them? It’s really not a big deal.

They clutter sorts especially when there are lots of them, and it is a big deal to users that need to actively use the forum for their development needs

3 Likes

I don’t support this feature in the given scenario a users makes a mistake (e.g wrong category > should be moved to a different category), they should be allowed to correct it - quick flags shoudn’t speak for them in this scenario.

Also, it’s slightly unfair when arguments are sparked excluding OP and OP unfortunately has to have their topic closed on behalf on other people.

I understand your perspective, but IMO unlisting topics is a band-aid solution that doesn’t fix the issue at hand. People should be able to learn from their mistakes and capping the repercussion at a high level is just unfair to legitimate users who are unfortunately flagged incorrectly with bias. IMO, you let DET decide like usual and once flags are hitting a high margin, this feature could be put forward.

Yes, they learn after being flagged and getting feedback from a moderator. And I am not sure what relevance bias brings? If someone is abusing flags moderators will be able to see that and take action against that user.

If DevEngagementTeam disagrees with the flags they will restore the post, flags aren’t a nuclear option.

3 Likes

How would do DET/ moderators take action if topics are automatically unlisted? Isn’t that the proposed feature.

Unlisted doesn’t mean completely removed. Mods can still take action against a post unless it’s completely removed which off-topic, spam, etc. posts are rarely removed.

No,

Please read the replies above ↑↑↑

1 Like

The flags still appear, and moderators see deleted posts differently. And yeah, unlisted doesn’t mean it’s deleted.

3 Likes

Oh… I didn’t see that. Whoops, well I support the feature. From reading your post alone (first post), I thought you meant completely unlist topics so you would be moving to an automatic process for flags without no verification. You should probably add that to your post, so other users don’t misinterpret like I did.

:grimacing:

1 Like

I completely agree with this feature request. The only problem I’d see is that some rule-breaking replies in a hot topic would get the OP flagged instead (without action taken against the OP, but it’s recommended for people to do that so DET receives less flags). However, this means that such arguments would stop being so overheated, which is definitely an advantage. Unlisting doesn’t mean deleting.

There are rumours telling that the Sage and CE ranks will be deleted later on (considering the fact that the groups got removed). I doubt they will get more CEs. Anyway, a lot of trust is required for such an important position.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true or not, but today I noticed a post in development discussion get unlisted immediately when content was hidden. I’m not sure if this is true.

When you say auto unlist, does it include the locking of topic?

No, read the replies above.

I don’t think this is happening yet

If the topic has no replies and is hidden by community flags, it also gets unlisted (as I have seen over and over again).

2 Likes

I didn’t know about that. But still doesn’t solve the problem of flagged topics getting into the Top Sort

1 Like

I don’t understand why we can’t just lock and unlist threads until staff sees them, instead of staff opting to lock the thread, staff should opt to restore it. Most threads that are flagged seem to get taken down anyway.

1 Like

As I repeadtely said during this thread:

I’m not proposing to lock them since sometimes the flags are indeed wrong or something like that

Yes, but meanwhile they’re flagged they still flood the forum with no-sense topics.

1 Like

This would also stop the mini-mods. I really support this, it will fix many issues!

1 Like