Automatically write code or text with OpenAI's ChatGPT (Really good for explaining concepts)

I litterally “wrote” this whole thing just using a sentence from the new ChatGPT online playground found here: OpenAI API

Here is a quick example (of how it can explain things better than humans; for the most part) before the AI explains itself how to use it for you guys.

Here we go!

Introduction

ChatGPT is a Roblox plugin that allows you to create a chatbot with natural language processing (NLP) capabilities. It can be used to create interactive conversations with players in your game, or to provide automated customer service. In this tutorial, we will show you how to use ChatGPT on Roblox.

Step 1: Install the Plugin

The first step is to install the ChatGPT plugin from the Roblox DevForum. To do this, go to the DevForum and search for “ChatGPT”. Once you find it, click on the “Download” button and follow the instructions provided. Once it is installed, you will need to restart your game for it to take effect.

Step 2: Create a Bot Profile

Once the plugin is installed, you will need to create a bot profile in order for it to work properly. To do this, go into your game and open up the ChatGPT menu by clicking on the “ChatGPT” button in the top right corner of your screen. From here, click on “Create Bot Profile” and fill out all of the required information such as name, description, etc. Once you are done creating your bot profile, click “Save” and then close out of the menu.

Step 3: Train Your Bot

Now that you have created your bot profile, it is time to train it so that it can understand what players are saying in chat. To do this, open up the ChatGPT menu again and click on “Train Bot”. Here you will be able to add training data by typing in phrases that players might say in chat and then providing responses for them. You can also add multiple responses so that your bot can respond differently depending on what was said by a player. Once you are done training your bot, click “Save” and then close out of the menu again.

Step 4: Test Your Bot
Now that your bot has been trained, it is time to test it out! To do this, open up a chat window in-game and type something that you think your bot should be able to respond to based on what you trained it with earlier. If everything went well then your bot should respond correctly! If not then go back into training mode and make sure that all of your responses are correct before testing again.

Conclusion
That’s all there is too it! With these steps completed you should now have a fully functioning chatbot powered by ChatGPT running in-game! We hope this tutorial was helpful and if you have any questions or feedback please let us know!

14 Likes

“Create a tutorial to explain how to use ChatGPT on Roblox using the devfourm requirements for Community tutorials” Was the prompt. Pretty easy to use, good luck everyone! Write something cool and please share it with me!

3 Likes

Cant find the plugin on the devforum or the marketplace, could you put a link? Also, I just saw the two minute papers video on this.

I just use the online version! Here’s the link, if u have a google account u should be able to get it to work

Now OpenAI has created the official ChatGPT, in a chat interface:

Really this tool is very good, you explain and it can make a code, explain it and even correct it!

6 Likes

smh y’all are already replacing yourself with an AI

13 Likes

Jesus christ this is a horrible idea and stackoverflow has already said why.

It’s cool that you made it and all, credit to you for doing so, but please nobody actually use this for code you’ll care about or not want to debug for ages.

8 Likes

Just going to mention that ChatGPT makes either outdated (deprecated) or incorrect code. It especially likes to make code that seems like it would work but doesn’t. Dont expect anything from after 2021 either as its training data only goes up to 2021.

4 Likes

Really, I think that AI doing 100% of the codes is not a good idea, I think it’s good that it is your helper, like GitHub Copilot (It even uses AI from the same company as ChatGPT) that helps you write the codes and leave you more productive

2 Likes

The thing is, just like with the actual GPT-3(.5) model, the explanation is inaccurate because it just assumes things. And beside that, it is not at all known with Roblox.

For example, your generated “tutorial” is having flaws as well:

There’s no plugin on the DevForum? :thinking:

Not at all.

Not true either.

Code & explanations may sound accurate, but it often contains false claims. Rather spend some time finding explanations from humans. Maybe they’re less proficient at English, but at least they’re often more accurate.

18 Likes

Technically I wouldn’t use this as my “Coding” Strategy, Why? Since the AI can just make a messy code in some points, Making it harder to debug.

In my opinion you should try scripting on your own as you can already tell in some cases that your code isn’t gonna work or needs a debug.

Another thing I wanna mention is I don’t think it’s training the AI, I do have a neural network chat, but I only used it for stuffs I will make on what the AI say, It’s not compatible for coding as it’s only for scenarios and other stuffs.

4 Likes

Please note that this is not a “Roblox plugin”… It writes virtually any language (as well as declarative and imperative IaC tooling languages), is in beta, is now potentially learning from everyone that is currently testing it out, and is prone to making mistakes (per the ChatGPT FAQ: ChatGPT FAQ | OpenAI Help Center)

6 Likes

I’ve already tried utilizing OpanAI’s ChatGPT to sold this problem I’ve been stuck on for a while (still unsolved by the way lol):

It’s good for explaining concepts, but it doesn’t make use of best practices (obviously), and it doesn’t fully understand Luau (or at least to my knowledge) so you won’t be able to just copy and paste code from it.

TLDR; OpenAI’ ChatGPT is not your problem solver, but more to aid you in solving helping you solve your problems (most of the time).

6 Likes

ChatGPT can be useful for small scripts, but if you want to do something more advanced with it, it is not recommended at all to use it since it can’t really work with Roblox Studio’s system of creating games. It is more of a mislead like it’s something truly amazing for Roblox Studio coding. Believe me I have tried to make something cool with it, but it just always ends up not working as intended

There are some tasks that the AI can’t do though

2 Likes

yep the ai can’t do some tasks yet, but by doing and supporting this you’re just leading yourself into your own end

2 Likes

Lol, that’s true, but u can’t just avoid it. I think that it’ll be paid in the future tho. Yk when robots replaced workers, the smart guys became technicians. I’m already considering changing career

It’s a conversational tool and should be treated as such. It doesn’t know the right thing in a similar way as a friend who may not have researched as much about the given topic as you, however, there is still incredible utility in having ‘someone’ to bounce ideas off of and give useful information.

I found the best use for it by figuring out how to implement complex systems in your code. I could ask it what it knows about motion-matched animations for example, and then ask it to create a system that converts normal animation tracks into a motion-matched database. And it actually created the code, which while flawed laid out the blueprint for me really nicely. I could ask about random sections of the code, like how I could get the data from the animation tracks itself and see why each specific line is important. It can be an eye-opening conversation at the click of a button.

It’s still a groundbreaking tool that Roblox developers can definitely make use of, but to actually get there you need to treat it less like a code generator that does your work for you and more like a person you can bounce ideas off of.

3 Likes

True!
Also nice as one to help you develop games, from giving ways to go about coding something to coding simple things you can debug!

when even this devforum post is ai generated

2 Likes