AutoUpdate PackageLink models are extremely buggy in Team Create

I’ve been working in Team Create on a game for the past 7 months and we’ve been leveraging Roblox’s PackageLink feature to help us keep certain models and our game’s codebase synchronized between places of our game.

While attempting to use PackageLink’d models that have AutoUpdate set to true, we’ve observed a lot of really odd and frustrating behavior that is difficult to consistently replicate, but happens a bunch none-the-less.

• Models will sometimes duplicate themselves during the AutoUpdate phase when multiple people are connected to a Team Create session.
  • Models will sometimes refuse to believe they are unchanged, even when trying to roll them back or move them to the latest version.

The aforementioned duplication bug occasionally happens with non-Model packages, though not nearly as frequently. The whole PrimaryPart mechanism seems to be very flaky in Team Create, and really needs some attention to ensure studio clients aren’t stepping over each other with conflicting information about the state of a package.

Unfortunately I don’t have any direct repro instructions, but it might be possible to catch it happening under the following conditions:

• Publishing a package model that auto-updates, while multiple people are connected to Team Create in a different place of the game with the same model.
  • Joining a place that had out of date auto-updating package models.
  • Attempting to publish a package model while other models with the same PackageLink are present.

(cc @nsgriff!)

21 Likes

I think I’m experiencing the same problem. Also sometimes it takes a few time to click publish on a package that has not been published yet for it to show me the publish window. Doesn’t seem to appear after a set time or be based on internet either.

I’ve also been having this issue:

And now I’m getting another issue where I can’t even see my group’s packages!

Packages are simply bad right now, and I regret choosing to use them in a game I’m working on. I feel the feature was shipped before it was properly tested - it feels like an early beta feature right now!

EDIT:
I’ve also been getting serious performance decreases when moving packages, another huge flaw in their existence when their purpose is meant to speed processes up. It’s definitely not the model because without the package link there is no performance impact.
Here’s a video (check the FPS in bottom right):

Hi guys, thanks for reporting these issues. We are aware all these issues.

1. Package Auto-update randomly duplication issue: It requires a major change to our design. We are planning for it. And it will come out by the end of the year.
  2. Drag performance issue: Please check the update on this post. Packaged models lag when you drag them around - #3 by cloakedyoshi
  3. Package Modification issue: This one also requires a major change to our design. We are looking into it. I believe the fix will come out by the end of the year.
3 Likes

Do you have any updates on fixing the auto-update duplication issue? Because it breaks our workflow using packages as prefabs quite severely and we need to custom build plugins to clean-up duplicate models.

Hi SamSwifthoof, sorry we are still working on it. I’ll let you know once we have a better ETA for it. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Well, at least we know that Roblox is aware and working on this. Thanks.

Hey, sorry I cant answer your question but how exactly do you obtain packagelinks? I’ve checked the page on dev portal but it didn’t exactly explain it all that well.

1 Like

Hi guys, sorry for being waiting so long. We’ve released a fix. Please let me know if it doesn’t work for you. Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m still having the issue, it happens the same thing to me.
Even after publishing the package, it still marked as “changed”

Hi, this post is about package auto-update duplication issue. Can you make a new post if you have a another issue? Thanks!