Best way to import multiple meshes. (Bulk Import)

Introduction

Hey there, I’m ZvClaw

In this tutorial, I’m going to show how you can use the Bulk Import feature to import multiple meshes from Blender easily.

Why?

I’ve seen many devs find Importing multiple meshes to be way time-consuming. What if I tell you there’s actually a feature that allows you to import those meshes in just a couple of clicks.

I’m going to try to show this in the most beginner-friendly way possible.

Step 1: Separating the model.

Separate your mesh in Blender by selecting the part you’d like.

Similarly, do it with the other parts you’d like to keep separate.

It should look something like this. In my case, I’ve divided the sword into 4 parts.

Step 2: Exporting the mesh.

Select all the parts you’d like to export

Go over to File > Export > Fbx

Locate to where you’d like to save the file, and you can enable the ‘Selected Objects’ option if you’d like to only export the parts you’ve selected. And hit Export.

Step 3: Importing the model to Roblox Studio.

You’d want to have your game published.
And Make sure you have the ‘Asset Manager’ open, from the view tab.

Now you can hit the Import button. Simply locate your mesh file and open.

Once completed, head on to Meshes and shift select (hold shift and select) the parts, And ‘Insert with location’.

You can now change the properties to make it look how you want

And there we go!

Conclusion

That’s pretty much it! I hope this helps all of you out there finding it difficult to import meshes. Feel free to reply If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Thanks for reading, Have a nice day! :smiley:

-ZvClaw

55 Likes

Why not bake the texture? Is it to avoid pixelation on ngons?

OP could definitely have used a mesh textureID instead but this tutorial is about bulk importing, not UV unwrapping.

1 Like

Well, UV method sure does work well. Though it really just depends on what you’re working with and what you prefer.

You can take an example of the pets used in simulators, Many of them need to have different properties (colors, material etc.) and It’s easy to mess around with the properties when you’ve imported the different color groups separately.

Similarly, UV method may be useful at times too. Say when you’d want to have a gradient effect on the meshes or simply keep the mesh count low.

Hope this answers your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh my bad I use node mixing instead of the roblox material picker

1 Like

@ZvClaw thanks for this tutorial which has saved me tons of time.

Just a note to the community: It’s 2021 and the “Game Explorer” has been renamed to “Asset Manager” and it requires a published game to use it!

1 Like

Glad it helped!
Thanks for mentioning that, Ill update it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why don’t you use colour palette to make the texture?

Texture sure is a neat way to go about it. Though In the case where you’d want to recolor the mesh / have multiple assets imported, This feature definitely saves a ton of time!

1 Like