Best way to organize a game for a level of detail setting

So far I’m creating a lobby for my game and I want it to be comfortably playable for all users. What I mean by this is I don’t want low-end device users to suffer just because my game uses realistic meshes and such.

I’ve created a setting where you can change the Level of Detail. Setting it to high (auto on) will add vegetation/shadows/extra decals and textures, setting it to low will remove all that.

The issue is, I don’t know how to organize workspace with this new setting. I’m pretty much a freak when it comes to organization such as creating folders for certain objects in the map and etc. Except now with this new setting I want to organize better so my code can be efficient as possible when switching from low to high detail.

I’ve thought of having two different folders, one for low detail objects and one for high detail objects. This does work except it’s extremely displeasing to look at. If I want to edit one region of the map I have to go through two different folders which branch off into smaller folders, which is just a pain.

I’ve also considered adding “LD” (low detail) and “HD” (high detail) infront of every part/model/decal. So whenever you switch between settings, the script easily knows what to look for to remove or add. This looks like a pain to implement though.

If anyone has any other ideas, it’d be heavily appreciated.

1 Like

If you don’t need to know what’s what at a glance, just by Scripts, you could just mark them with CollectionService tags. This could allow you to easily remove them in-game and keeps a normal file structure in Studio. You could also make a plugin to toggle them from Studio, probably, but that might be overdoing it a bit.

6 Likes

I’ll look into this, thanks!

I wish they weren’t invisible though lol.

1 Like

Agreed. I personally use this plugin when working with tags, but I’m surprised there’s no built-in solution.

6 Likes