Best ways to stop people leaking your game client side

the code of localscripts doesn’t actually matter they can save the map without them you can always file a dmca if it’s stolen also getting lawyer for that is Exaggerated

1 Like

There is no way that makes it impossible for exploiters to steal assets, at last they will somehow find a way around it even if you make a lot of preventions, so why need to waste your time securing that, just file a DMCA on them if you find someone using your stolen assets.

1 Like

DMCAs are a hassle to do and not as easy as people put it.
Even if you can’t stop all exploiters, the point of this post is to make it as hard for exploiters as possible. Just like how you can’t stop all hackers, but you can’ stop the bad hackers, ie the majority of them.

1 Like

you can also obfuscate the client side scripts

2 Likes

I won’t be responding to this thread at all after this because I’ve come to the realization that you have very little experience in a field such as this and most (if not all) the claims you are making are completely baseless with no evidence to back them up whatsoever.

I will reiterate once again for those who see this thread: If your game does get stolen and republished and you come across it – report it to a Roblox Staff Member (Developer Relations specifically) or the Support Team. None of the things suggested here (other than taking some form of “legal” action) will aid you (and will in fact make it more difficult for you to develop your own game).

Changing the way you load assets will not prevent exploiters from stealing your game, adding scripts or renaming instances will do nothing, and these aren’t “hackers” they are exploiters.

Take this from somebody who has been paid to look into security flaws and managing them.

My final points to reiterate:

Additional points:

• Obfuscating your scripts will do nothing, exploiters don’t see the code you see when you publish it as a game. The version they see is like if you translate another language to english: You don’t get the exact meaning but you get something pretty close. (Just imagine your code being turned into hieroglyphics when your game is ran and then being translated into English when you decompile the code, it’s going to be dodgy but close.) Obfuscating your scripts will make debugging in live games impossible, if you are suggesting this I can presume you have never released a game where you needed to debug before.

• If Front Page Games aren’t using strategies like this to prevent their games from being stolen (the most valuable ones that exploiters will target) than it’s safe to say that your methods might not be as good as you think.

6 Likes

Player’s experience is a much higher priority than preventing exploiters from leaking your game. Exploiters don’t steal from random games, they steal from popular games, obviously. So, even if they steal from your game, it has very less impact on your user base which is the main source of your earnings. Huge efforts which you’ll put in preventing exploiters leak will go to waste along with ruining normal players’ experience and your game.

When you make games which require user interaction, you’ve to give them access to certain things so it happens smoothly.

Just had an idea - if you use video frames instead of models themselves, it might still look the same and also it will prevent exploiters from getting your models. I don’t know if they can steal your videos too…
:grin:

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone else has said this but personally I would update the game regularly so when they leak the game it will be an outdated version.

1 Like

The best way to deal with the prospect of people leaking your client side game is to expect it to be leaked and not worry. If your game gets popular it will happen, and you can’t stop it. However a client side copy of your game should not be playable. If it is then you need to rethink how you structure your games because you will have bigger issues than maps being leaked.

Funny enough, a lot of synapse users got some punishment. Supposedly five days ago there was a massive ban wave going on where Roblox was able to detect if you were using synapse. Anybody that was using synapse got a single day ban.

As of right now, the entire community is in shambles and trying to lay low for a while.

The by far best way you can prevent this is by listening for local console output for exploit outputs. If you can confirm the output is malicious, kick the user. Any other method than this will not work

Use LogService. LogService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Example:

game:GetService("LogService").MessageOut:Connect(function(Message, Type)
    if Type == string then
        if Message == "exploit output" then
           game.ReplicatedStorage.ExploitRemoteEvent:FireServer() --put code on server that kicks player
        end
    end
end)

Another way you can do the above is by obfuscating your services and using ScriptContext.Error to detect if a player tries to fire a RemoteEvent through an obfuscated service and fails.

2 Likes

I’ve had my game stolen and get players so I filed a DMCA request and got and email back from ROBLOX claiming it was a human, that “human” never did anything, currently the exploiters have gotten away with it.

1 Like

Just make your game heavily rely on server script storage and other things people cannot steal. I think that will help a lot.

1 Like

I think you should enable the Lock property on anything you don’t want to be leaked, but I don’t know if it will actually prevent the exploiter from interacting with it.
From my experience with exploits, you can’t interact with anything that is locked.

1 Like

We’re referring to assets in workspace mostly. You still need to have the GUI and other local scripts on the client.

1 Like

Yes but any exploiter can unlock the workspace using a simple script

2 Likes

Well, you could copyright your game’s everything.
Piggy did it and removed piggy clash for copyright infringement

1 Like

Please keep us updated if anything on it happens.

I’ve had a few games stolen, but since the exploiters didn’t publish it, instead selling it on. I had no way of tracking who did it, and therefore reporting that person.

If you can, see if you could follow a few of the above suggestions on reducing game theft, and see if you can tell us if it helped.

It works, but keeping things on client side reduces lag since there’s less server- client interactions.

However what I proposed above is to have a secondary script which monitors which scripts/ models are needed immediately by the client, and they are placed into the client. While the ones which aren’t needed by the client are kept in serverstorage so they aren’t stolen.

I understand that people try to copy your game. But here reasons threy might do so. Number one they want to know how it works and what was the process behind it which is probably why you hardly see any copyunlocked games on Roblox. Number 2 they are trolls and what to try to make a replica of your game so they can profit which is probably the worst choice.

2 Likes

I think a sensible person would probably go to the developer of a game and ask “Hey, how did you do this?” As for people stealing games and reuploading them for profit, this doesn’t happen. Stolen games have no server side scripts whatsoever, if someone actually wanted to reupload a game and profit from it they would need to rescript most of the game.

2 Likes