[Beta] New Experiences Have Team Create Enabled

this ain’t it chief

this just makes creating a new place EVEN SLOWER than it already is with the new ui update, please just stop with these bad additions

i literally don’t make a place file with the intention of having other people working on it, and i’m fairly confident in saying that most devs are going to be this way. this should at minimum be off by default, preferably not even a feature

i don’t want to suffer because you are forcing people to use your frankly awful git “equivalent” and trying to do everything on the cloud

16 Likes

Do not.

Roblox should be evolving Studio to work completely offline, not forcing the user to have an active internet connection. Once a product key is obtained, Microsoft Office lets you use its program, and Steam lets you play games. Offline

Forcing an active internet connection just to. for example, modify a script in a file is a bit extreme. I can understand content not being available offline. Fine. But the core tool should work offline regardless.

I believe you’re trying to phase out local RBXL files entirely since many of the “Would you like to save” actions now default to opening Save to Roblox, not Save to Local File. Please make a u-turn on this decision. Please.

Back to the main topic of forced Team Create, again, why? Many people work on their places alone, and its kinda pointless having it forced on for single-place projects.

I don’t want to publish a place and find out Team Create was on when I never had the intention of letting people in, it also slows down my ability to edit places significantly because I have to wait for Roblox to spin up a server instance just to edit a place.

Amazing idea: Dont make the place to begin with

You’re asking for your datacenters to get cluttered with empty baseplates that will never be used again.

50 Likes

I open up the empty baseplate all the time to quickly test small models or packages. So this no clutter on places list is absolutely critical. I’ll probably inevitably end up with thousands of baseplates with this change, but if Roblox is ok with that, then it’s fine with me.

It would be awesome if we could also get a link to these places immediately, instead of having to publish them first.

17 Likes

I think while this update is good in some regards, it would be much more intuitive, and in my opinion, better, if there was a simple toggle switch on game creation to enable / disable teamcreate, on the “Publish to Roblox” menu as well as the new option to create a place with a specified owner at the bottom of the places tab.

Quoting an earlier reply:

No service will ever have a 100% uptime so what does the always online approach do for times when Roblox goes down? I know that this is being currently mitigated but what happens if another 3 day downtime happens? Are developers just supposed to sit on their hands rather than have the option to work on their experiences in their respective off-line files?

I feel the issue with this argument is: if ROBLOX is down, then:

• You’re already missing profits due to downtime
  • You’re not pushing any new updates to the game, due to downtime
  • You’re likely not even testing / fixing many bugs since the vast majority of games these days rely on external factores such as getting group ranks, game passes, developer products, and other information about a player.

I 100% agree, that Studio should support offline editing and use, due to it better suiting the workflow of some developers, I see no reason why these features cannot co-exist.

5 Likes

oh gosh, i really hope this isn’t something that’s actually going through, i don’t know what’s so bad about having to click one button to turn team create on/off, working on team create is really annoying for me as a person with below average internet, and as an animator, woo golly, i’ve had several ruined animations because i happened to be animating on a team create and my ISP decided to shut down my internet for the 4th time that day, i’m all for improving team create, but i don’t get what’s the necessity to have it be forced onto us all the time, just keep the toggle but have it default to on or something, please.

6 Likes

This is actually kinda annoying.

Sometimes I create a place with the intention just to do a quick test, and I don’t want to save the place. I really don’t want the clutter of 5million places…

This is even more concerning to me honestly. This might actually force me into coding exclusively with Rojo and VSCode if that’s the case

4 Likes

Don’t force developers to do anything, let developers make their own choices, and now Roblox seems to be forcing us to start team create

6 Likes

I hope team create will never be the only option. I do not like how it autosaves. I like to open a game and be able to test stuff that I don’t plan to save. With team create on, you can’t just close it and say ‘don’t save’. If you lose your undo then you have to worry about reverting to a previously saved version.

Its much easier just to open, test, close without saving.

Maybe there are ways to do this with team create on, idk.

4 Likes

Yes it will be maintained. Did you not notice the setting they pointed out in the original post you can toggle to on?

2 Likes

Very cool, however I think it is very important that studio remains accessible and almost fully functional so that I can work remotely, without internet, open up and share rbxl files, etc… Local files are a necessary part of studio that should not go away, however I appreciate the focus on providing a more could-based IDE.

2 Likes

For now it’s maintained, but as stated in the original post

As we work on improving this, we’ve added a way to quickly create local, unsaved places.

“As we work on improving this”, does that mean once they’re done improving teamcreate performance that it will be removed? (As asked in this post a bit further down [Beta] New experiences have Team Create Enabled - #6 by CheOsana)

5 Likes

Fair point, I suppose Roblox is being incredibly vague again.

However, if I know the Roblox developer community, there’s going to be a massive protest against this change thanks to the fact that not every developer is a team. I really don’t see why Team Create should be the default. Let solo developers be solo developers, and let local places be local places.

It’s honestly insane how many times Roblox has failed to learn to ask first. Propose a concept, then move to Beta Features. This will allow creators to tell Roblox if they should even take the time to work on the feature in the first place.

Facts and opinions aside, I’m not toggling this beta feature, and I ask Roblox that this beta transitions to a default off toggle-able option where you can choose if you want to instant-publish, rather than forcing it upon us like they usually do.

16 Likes

Studio notifies that the feature is turned on. I’ve enrolled into the Beta program and I should have the feature appearing. It did once, but it suddenly went away once more. Is there a way to fix this?

RobloxStudioBeta_MCH15qMs1B

1 Like

We are disabling this temporarily to fix a technical issue & we will update the post above.

Edit: beta is re-enabled

5 Likes

I see. When can we expect the beta feature to return? I find it extremely useful

1 Like

Could you please re-assure us that this is NOT a phase-out of local RBXL files?

Working via the cloud is neat but should NOT be a replacement of working locally, saving backups and working offline.

Perfect example for this are the Microsoft 365 products - the files automatically save on OneDrive but you DO have the option to save them manually on your device, WITHOUT auto-saving.

Withdrawing from local studio files is a huge step backwards, please do reassure us that this is not happening, to prevent false information and assumptions.

18 Likes

Great update,
I am still worried about something though:

As of right now, anyone that has you on their friend list can add you to a Team Create. The issue there is that if they wanted to get your account deleted, THEY could create inappropriate content, get their account deleted, and yours, because you were part of it.

What I suggest is that there is some sort of “Accept Team Create Invitation” System, kind of like the friend system on roblox!

I think this would save lots of innocent people’s accounts!

7 Likes

This is awesome with perks such as autosave and instant collaboration

The only downside I see is getting moderated for accidentally putting a virus in your game, but I guess just be careful :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

This isn’t good at all. Who wants a cloud only IDE? How are we supposed to make places in bad internet environments? Moreover, team create is very, very buggy. I have lost countless hours because I forgot to “commit” and closed studio, only to find none of the code I wrote was saved. Also, no commit all button. Why??

I am afraid this may also lead to phasing out of rbxl files, which will impact great tools like RoJo.

14 Likes

Oh yeah, I would be nice to have a option to auto commit, so that we can have a smoother workflow for scripting

1 Like