Better footstep sounds that match with Character Animations

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to listen to the inconsistency of footstep sounds.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because footstep sounds would feel more natural and less clinky/synthetic in Every Single Game.

Currently, Roblox plays a lazily looped footstep sound that’s often out of sync. The speed of the sound is independent of the character’s actual walkspeed.
Not only that, with the introduction of character animation packs, the rate of footsteps is different for every walk animation. Some animation packs shouldn’t even make any footstep sounds at all!

I really hope someone at Roblox has been planning this, but I’m posting this just in case:

It would be way better to use AnimationEvents and play sounds with GetMarkerReachedSignal for every actual footstep.

It would be a good idea to do this update sooner rather than later.
There are only 17 buyable Animation packs and 53 Emotes to edit right now.

What’s more, because animation speed already changes dynamically to match Humanoid WalkSpeed, this would mean that doing it this way would make footstep sounds match walkspeed as well. Pretty sure this is a planned feature but it’d be nice to get some confirmation.

47 Likes

Hello,

This video on Twitter reminded me of this feature request:

It has been >2 years since I made this OP, so I’d like to follow up on this. Can anyone confirm if this is on the roadmap or not? This seems fairly easy to add/modify. Maybe there is some complexity I’m overlooking?

I’d appreciate any feedback, thanks!
:frog::+1:

7 Likes

If there are still animation packs left to modify to support strafing, now is an even better time to also add named keyframes. This would be great and allow my games to support players’ own character customisation and synced custom footstep sounds.

3 Likes