Better Indoor Reflections - Live for Future Lighting

In the post that you’re quoting, I EXPLICITLY said that the material update would be fine if there was a toggle for the new and old materials. I advocated my support for switching the default materials to the new, PBR based materials, but also allowing the old materials to still be used.

I’m advocating an identical position here. I’m fine with this update. If you want to use it then be my guest. I, however, will not be using it because it allows for zero developer input and is at the mercy of Roblox’s inaccurate, imperfect light grid. Oh, but turns out I have to use it because it has no off switch.

2 Likes

i agree…

if we had more advanced graphics settings, players could toggle the rendering features that suits their hardware

more intensive rendering features (like screenspace reflections) could be added rather than discarded; people could use the engine to its fullest rather than be held back by “we’d like to have a solution that can run on most devices”

9 Likes

I also agree to this, Roblox should stop holding the platform back just because Mobile or older devices won’t run it well. There’s a reason other game engines have a graphical settings menu where they can control the way the game looks, allowing it to run smoother on older devices and/or even having the settings auto adjust themselves depending on the device’s performance.

7 Likes

Honestly, I really love this. It made a lot of the metals on my models go from super ugly, drab, and unmetallic, to absolutely beautiful metallic masterpieces.

(This model is super old)

5 Likes

IIRC the SSR implementation for water reflections is super fast, janky, and approximate. It would not look correct on objects whatsoever. It only works for water because of the severe distortion. This was explained by staff but I’m not sure where to find the post.

4 Likes

For anyone who wants to read the original explanation from an engineer, here it is:

4 Likes

I don’t believe this utilizes raytracing. Raytracing isn’t reflections, more so realistic and efficient light bouncing.

3 Likes

It can do reflections not just lighting

Please just let us bake the reflections instead of forcing to use low res reflections that are made in real time. Every other major engine has the option to do this.

5 Likes

Brilliant, I have used it too and now it looks so good!

10 Likes

Yes, but I was saying it is mainly for lighting.

Also, my comment was about how this does NOT utilize RTX technology.

I plan on getting an rtx card soon but i wasn’t saying that the comment was about it not utilizing rtx technology i was just saying in general

4 Likes

I know, I was just saying that that wasn’t the main focus of the comment.

2 Likes

Wow !

I like it thank you for you annoucement !

1 Like

I’m seeing the same problem I saw during the first release of this technology. Despite being in an enclosed room, the sky is still being reflected on the sphere and the room reflections are faint and hardly noticeable. The room is made of ordinary parts so there should be no light leaks. EnvironmentSpecularScale is 1. Part reflectance is 1.

Is there something else wrong?

Edit: Before someone asks, yes I turned the beta feature on and restarted studio after.

I tried the same experiment in the default baseplate to make sure its not lighting changes I’ve made that’s the problem. Same result. You can see the ball reflecting itself and from the bottom you can sort of see the coloured walls reflecting. So it is “working” its just not working

3 Likes

These aren’t meant to work with Reflectance property. You should use a material that’s reflective by itself or use a really shiny surface appearance (completely white metalness map and completely black roughness map)

2 Likes

Please, don’t force this on us Future lighting users. This just makes Future a worse lighting engine than it already was. These are definitely not better than the skybox ones. At least those didn’t have jarring transitions.

4 Likes

Uh…???
They are better than the “skybox ones”

2 Likes

No, no they are not. They have jarring transitions, and are AUTOMATIC!!! At least with the skybox ones, you could set manual cubemaps with scripts. With this, you cannot.

3 Likes

Yeah, true but I’d rather have 3D clouds that move, rather than a flat image placed across the sky.