Beyond the Dark: A Vistech Showcase

keyart

We’re incredibly excited to share our latest Vistech (Visual-Technical) Showcase! This creepy futuristic station should certainly give you plenty to see and explore! Check out the trailer here, or better yet, jump in and experience it yourself!

visscreen

We pushed the envelope on this, so its best played on high-end computers or mobile devices. We’re working hard on optimizations to make all high-end experiences like this run smoothly on all devices!!

Why do we make these?

1. We built these showcases to dive deeply into our own technologies and show you and our own teams what Studio is truly capable of!

2. Roblox is an ever-growing platform, and we’re always looking to improve. By pushing the boundaries of these technologies together, we can see where to improve, optimize, and evolve!

3. We wanted to give you the assets and documentation to assist you while creating your own amazing experiences!

We want to make creating amazing immersive experiences on Roblox incredibly easy, whether that be a team of 1 or a team of 10!

visscreen2

How did we do it?

As part of our goal to make it easier for you to learn from the Showcases we build, we’re going to release ‘How To’ documents along with them. These will include useful tips-n-tricks like:

• Building the station using modular pieces
  • Making the ominous creatures
  • Making a realistic avatar with layered clothing
  • Using sound to create immersion
  • Making fun and interactive UI

image (1)

Read more at: developer.roblox.com/resources/beyond-the-dark

Over the next couple of months, we’ll be releasing the same tips for:

• Creating the blackhole and other VFX
  • Using constraints and simulation to make the space feel alive
  • Making a system to drive “The Event”

To the community

Lastly, I personally want to thank everyone in the community. Your work has served as a huge inspiration to me ever since I started creating hats and avatars in 2010, and I in turn hope the incredible work of the team here at Roblox can inspire you!

187 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 6 minutes.

Wow that’s probably the best I’ve seen roblox looking before

4 Likes

Oh wow, this looks great! :+1:
My only concern is device performance.

10 Likes

What… this is awesome, this isn’t roblox, this is something else.

4 Likes

Very nice :sunglasses:

I still prefer small maps consisting of mainly blocks. It’s nice to see how futuristic roblox has become though.

6 Likes

Its so good its having performance issues on mid-range hardware. I’ve seen reports of it having issues on high-end hardware aswell.

6 Likes

Wow. You guys went all out.

There’s honestly no problems with it; it’s beautiful! All I would suggest is allowing us to use the GPU more efficiently in our games to achieve this with better performance.

9 Likes

If you want to play this and you have a bad PC I suggest you turn it to the lowest graphics settings, this game is beefy

2 Likes

I’ve been excited for this showcase to come out since I found it while looking through the vistech team’s favorites lol.

The team behind this did a great job once again!

2 Likes

It looks great but I don’t really think Roblox is there yet. Device performance is terrible. I have to lower my graphics to setting 2 to get a good frame-rate. If my graphics are at 10 then the Micro-Profiler is showing 50ms per frame. This is not playable in anything more than a showcase

A high-end computer like mine should not be struggling this much to run the showcase. Btw I have a Ryzen 5 3600x processor

6 Likes

I don’t know who needs to hear this but please turn RenderFidelity to “Performance” on everything, it increases FPS in studio by so much. That being said, the game itself isn’t very laggy in studio, however once you play it goes downhill instantly. Something is causing a massive amount of lag that was overlooked when creating this.

Go into the studio file, change the lighting to anything other than Future, press play, game still lags to death even when in edit its smooth as butter. The tech demo would be much more impressive if the runtime wasn’t getting blasted by something. Maybe the animations are causing lag? Moving parts?

6 Likes

This is full graphics

6 Likes

Will there be more demos like these in the near future?

1 Like

time to melt my gpu

This is going to be great for builders (because who can deny a @roblox provided kit with super high quality assets)!

2 Likes

Aight I give up trying to optimize this, I deleted everything and I mean everything but LevelGeo, the game still runs at 10fps in Studio with a 2070 Super and a 9th Gen i7 with 16GB RAM :woozy_face: I don’t think Roblox is ready yet for these levels of textures without shaders and textures being preinstalled (e.g. Apex Legends, Warzone etc)

14 Likes

With Roblox tech becoming better and better I think it’s safe to say yes, Roblox wants to showcase its game engine.

1 Like

FWIW, overlooking the whole main central area:
Base FPS:
Discord_2021-10-20_18-16-38
Voxel lighting:
Anchoring everything:
RobloxStudioBeta_2021-10-20_18-17-11
All meshparts set to performance renderfidelity (???):
Voxel lighting + anchoring everything:
RobloxStudioBeta_2021-10-20_18-17-32

GTX 1070

A hefty chunk is taken by physics simulation. The rest is mostly Future related rendering.

12 Likes

I’ve never thought that Roblox Studio is so capable of making this sort of advanced gaming experience, it looks great!

1 Like

Looks fantastic (probably not even a strong enough word to describe it), runs not so fantastic.

I shouldn’t be getting this low framerate or this low usage on a 3900x and 1080ti.

2 Likes