BillboardGui under a ScreenGui renders in 2D as well

I’ve seen this as well. If anyone can figure out a consistent way to reproduce this, it would help us a lot.

It happens if the BillboardGui is inside a screengui that’s parented to PlayerGui.

1 Like

I tried this and was not able to reproduce. Would you mind posting or PM’ing the place file where you took this screenshot?

repro.rbxl (15.0 KB)
Happens in play mode(f6 or f5)

1 Like

@Homeomorph This happens fairly frequently in games with bubble chat enabled (the default bubble chat implementation involves creating images in a “bubblechat” billboardgui.

There was a FFlag that was set around 4/26 that caused this regression. Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like when the bug happens with bubble chat:

As long as the camera was not moved, the billboardgui would be “double rendered” (there would be the expected version, as well as the incorrect version visible in what appears to be screen-space). In the bubble chat scripts, frame .visibles are set when the camera moves (which cause the double-rendering to disappear).

Here is the bubble chat script (forked from the latest bubble chat some time ago) that has the issue:
BubbleChat.ModuleScript.lua.html (22.7 KB)

Here is a fixed version of bubble chat that I’m using for my game. All changes are marked “SPCHANGE”.
BubbleChat_fixed.ModuleScript.lua.html (23.1 KB)

(Removing the TweenPosition and TweenPositionAndSizes seems to remove the large majority of the billboardgui flickering, still occurs sometimes when ingame).

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reports. We’re working on a fix. The problem is that we accidentally stopped ignoring descendants of BillboardGuis when collecting all of the descendants of a ScreenGui to display on screen.

1 Like

So that’s what it was! I saw this when playing Entry Point a few weeks ago and got really confused.

This is still happening, any ETA on a fix?

1 Like

For anyone still struggling: Move the BBGui from ScreenGui into StarterGui. It fixed it for me on all platforms.

1 Like

fwiw I am going to attempt to turn on a fix for this today.

1 Like

the fix is live! lmk if you still see this issue

2 Likes

Is this live in new servers only? Still happening in our game (Vehicle Simulator).

They also show up in two separate locations at times.

out of curiosity, in that screenshot is that your local player doing the bubble chat or another player?

That was me

weird… I will look into this

I’m getting the same bug. I turned off chat bubbles as a result (because some would literally cover the whole screen) but Adonis has a bchat command so I could still test it.

Still happening for me as well, some camera movement even results in a complete white out screen.

1 Like

Happens for me too.

I’ve managed to solve this! Create a copy of the BubbleChat localscript and add this one line. Fixed.

This will work for a temporary. I expected it to fail but it turns out that it works perfectly. It’s kind of funny, because I had done this as a reaction for lack of having any other way to fix it. I was thinking, “Ok, so if there’s a root gui element inside of another root gui element, then we might see two bubbles because it’s just drawing for both elements… So what if I disable the one I don’t want?” … And here we are.

EDIT: You can get a copy of the LocalScript [HERE]

It may be best to mark this as the answer for the time being, since it’s super easy to do and works.

(Edit, gonna @darthskrill since you were looking for a fix. The fix that was pushed by you was not working for me, even after full shutdown. If it’s working for other people, I think you can safely disregard the fact that it’s broken for me.)

2 Likes