BillboardGui under a ScreenGui renders in 2D as well

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

A few days ago I started getting reports of some billboard guis in my game looking massive. It has never happened before and I didn’t change anything that would cause this.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

As this bug hasn’t happened to me, I’m unsure how much it is happening, but I have recieved at least 3 reports in the last 2 days.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

This is in a live roblox game. roblox.com/games/864324882

This is what it normally looks like:

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

The players who reported this were using Windows 10 at 1920x1080. Graphics cards were GT 610 and GTX 980M.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

A player first reported this to me just under 2 days ago (however it definitely isn’t happening to everyone).

One player managed to repro it by changing his screen resolution, but all the other players who reported said they didn’t change their screen size/resolution.

12 Likes

Thanks for the report! we will look into this.

2 Likes

Hey! Any udpate on this? I’m still getting reports of this happening!

1 Like

We’ve logged the bug in our system and have tried to reproduce, but haven’t had any luck so far. Any idea how/when this shows up? Have all the reports still only been on windows?

2 Likes

Ah :confused: I’m afraid I can’t give you much more information sorry - It’s literally just a BillboardGui with the Adornee set to a part in the workspace. I then change change the Visible property of the frame inside the billboardgui.

And yes, all the reports so far have been on windows!

1 Like

Just had a report from someone on Mac but no other extra info, sorry :confused:

1 Like

A similar glitch is happening to a game I’m helping develop: Pixel's Neighborhood - Roblox

(not sure if it’s a related bug)

It constantly resizes itself everytime I move the camera. Someone reported that this doesn’t glitch out on mobile, though.

It looks as if a copy of the billboard gui is placed on the top left; here’s a cop with custom dialog speech, both on the corner and on the head:

1 Like

I’ve seen this as well. If anyone can figure out a consistent way to reproduce this, it would help us a lot.

It happens if the BillboardGui is inside a screengui that’s parented to PlayerGui.

1 Like

I tried this and was not able to reproduce. Would you mind posting or PM’ing the place file where you took this screenshot?

repro.rbxl (15.0 KB)
Happens in play mode(f6 or f5)

1 Like

@Homeomorph This happens fairly frequently in games with bubble chat enabled (the default bubble chat implementation involves creating images in a “bubblechat” billboardgui.

There was a FFlag that was set around 4/26 that caused this regression. Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like when the bug happens with bubble chat:

As long as the camera was not moved, the billboardgui would be “double rendered” (there would be the expected version, as well as the incorrect version visible in what appears to be screen-space). In the bubble chat scripts, frame .visibles are set when the camera moves (which cause the double-rendering to disappear).

Here is the bubble chat script (forked from the latest bubble chat some time ago) that has the issue:
BubbleChat.ModuleScript.lua.html (22.7 KB)

Here is a fixed version of bubble chat that I’m using for my game. All changes are marked “SPCHANGE”.
BubbleChat_fixed.ModuleScript.lua.html (23.1 KB)

(Removing the TweenPosition and TweenPositionAndSizes seems to remove the large majority of the billboardgui flickering, still occurs sometimes when ingame).

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reports. We’re working on a fix. The problem is that we accidentally stopped ignoring descendants of BillboardGuis when collecting all of the descendants of a ScreenGui to display on screen.

1 Like

So that’s what it was! I saw this when playing Entry Point a few weeks ago and got really confused.

This is still happening, any ETA on a fix?

1 Like

For anyone still struggling: Move the BBGui from ScreenGui into StarterGui. It fixed it for me on all platforms.

1 Like

fwiw I am going to attempt to turn on a fix for this today.

1 Like

the fix is live! lmk if you still see this issue

2 Likes

Is this live in new servers only? Still happening in our game (Vehicle Simulator).

They also show up in two separate locations at times.