BillboardGuis that don't rotate vertically?

I’m making retro-styled trees for one of my games. Similar to games like DOOM, I want them to be 2D and follow the camera. BillboardGuis do the job alright; they follow the camera, no matter how you rotate it.

PNGPicture1

…but this also means they’ll practically flatten onto the floor if you rotate your camera up or down.

PNGPicture2

Is there any way to make a BillboardGui–or something that works similarly to a BillboardGui–to not rotate vertically like that? I’ve recreated what I’m looking for here:

I’ve heard Beams could do something like that, but I haven’t found a way to do it that doesnt require a lot of tedious set-up (two bricks, making sure the texture is perfectly centered, sized, etc.). Are they my only option? Is there a better way?

2 Likes

Have you tried using surface GUIs? If not, try it.

Yeah, but they won’t follow the camera, right? I could use a script that would point them at the camera, potentially, but I fear the amount of lag once a lot of trees are added.

Unfortunately, the best you’re gonna get with it is with either SurfaceGuis or BillboardGuis. Even if you did try scripting it, it’ll just seem to be a bit impractical and a bit much for the server if you’re planning to have a lot of these trees.

2 Likes

Alright. Thanks anyways, everyone, I’ll see what I can do.

2 Likes

this can be accomplished using Beams (make sure FaceCamera is enabled, and make LightInfluence set to 1)

17 Likes

The best way is to use beams, maybe ROBLOX will add an option for what you are looking for in the future.

2 Likes

Hi. Just wondering how you managed to put both attachments under the same parent and still got the beam to show. Doesn’t seem to work for me.

Are you setting Attachment0 and Attachment1 properties for the Beam?

Sorry for the annoyance but I figured the issue out. Thank you for the reply!

Hey is there anyway to use texture sheets instead off individual images with beams? as they dont have ImageRectOffset or ImageRectSize

2 Likes