Blender Terrain Glitch

Whats up developers, I’m Eli, I am a builder currently designing a low poly island in blender and I really don’t want it to be glitchy to walk on when I import it to studio, you know how it is with meshes sometimes, I just don’t want people to have that glitch where the characters are floating above the mesh in some parts. I’ve been looking through the dev forum to see if I could find anything but I didn’t have any luck, does anybody know how to prevent this before it happens?

3 Likes

Hello! I have also had this issue. I have tried 2 fixes that give a somewhat good result.
For this you have to ask: What will the player walk on? ( no point in putting collision if the player will never even touch it. )

• Use number 1 if you have something very very large. ( like some hilly terrain mesh from blender )
  • Use number 2 if the terrain made in blender is small.

Both of these methods have downsides, but I don’t really know of another option. Hope it helps. :>

1. Import the Mesh into Roblox Studio, make it Transparent, then use Roblox terrain to try to mimic what the player should walk on. ( make sure the Roblox terrain is not see-able though )

2. Import the mesh in separate parts. An example would be a floating island. Lets say you have a rocky bit and a grassy bit. The Player walks on the grass, but not the rock bit. ( Roblox asks you when you import a mesh if you want to put it in Roblox Studio with its “Location Data”. Make sure you click “Yes” for this to work. )

Change the mesh’s collision fidelity to precise convex decomposition. I highly advise against importing mesh terrain and then making a voxel terrain collision. You should be fine if you tile your meshes. I recommend if you’re doing a big map more than 8,000 studs squared do voxel terrain. If it’s under 8,000 you can use mesh. You can use both mesh and voxel but only do that if the terrain features are under the voxel size of 4x4.

attached are my large scale map workflow in blender and roblox

4 Likes

I had no idea that this existed! This fixed all of my mesh issues. I know I didn’t originally ask about this, but thanks for the help. I do have a question though, would this cause performance issues on low end devices like mobile or tablet?

Yes, if you do it on every mesh. Should be used sparingly like on vehicles, jets, etc only things that need interaction with humanoid. The smaller the mesh and it have a high triangle density the worse it is. It’s bad because the collisions are so small and so many in a small area.

What i mean by high triangle density

Thanks so much everybody for your help, I found my solution, I am so thankful to all of you :heart:

2 Likes