BlockLua | The blazingly fast visual scripting plugin for Roblox. Code with blocks, like in Scratch!

Is there a state in which you are not allowed to grab the blocks at all?

Because he cannot grab the blocks at all, even though the script is selected, I have made sure the steps are correctly followed

1 Like

Well that really shouldnā€™t happen. Are you sure you allowed script injection permissions for the plugin? If that is not the problem, is it possible to send me a screen recording of the issue? Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes the script injection is allowed:

Here is the video:

And his settings too:

Nothing is shown on the output either

please reselect the script, it might fix it

1 Like

BL Online is in the making!

Hello!

Iā€™m working on BL Online, a way to share and install custom blocks made by other BlockLua users. Anyone will be able to make a block and share it on this platform. It will be similar to EB Online (for EventBlocks), but easier, faster and safer. Iā€™m putting a lot of work into the backend as well as the frontend.

Have a great day

4 Likes

Hello!

I just wanted to say that this plugin has been so useful and I have been experimenting with it for a while. I canā€™t believe this is even possible on Roblox. I have had some ideas such as blocks for, collection service, badge service, and things for modules like require(). I have tried to make custom blocks but they never even drag onto the screen so I figured the syntax was wrong. I was wondering if there was some sort of tutorial for making custom blocks or if there will be one?

2 Likes

Maybe you can try joining the discord server from the roblox group, I believe someone has posted a tutorial about that not long ago.

3 Likes

BL Online is on the way!

Iā€™ve worked on BL Online and I would say it is around 80% done now. I think I can release it next week. First, there will only be a website version but later on BL Online will be implemented into the plugin as well so you can share and use custom blocks without having to open your browser.

5 Likes

Ohhh thatā€™s seems great, Iā€™m excited for this to come out!

1 Like

Great addition to Roblox for us newbie scriptsā€¦ putting things into perspective.

Canā€™t wait for the update to include Pathfinding !

1 Like

Yay I can finally post on here, anyway custom data blocks cause the compiler to bug (or cause the compiler to not compile anymore code after if its not at the end of the line).

2 Likes

Hello!

Could you show me a screenshot of the error? It would help a lot.

2 Likes

Not any errors but a bug
Without

With
image_2024-02-26_071905927

for the stuff at the end of the line it will duplicate code multiple times (the actual script)

I see, Iā€™ll try to find the bug and fix it as soon as I can!

3 Likes

This is great, however I personally am not a big fan of it. Its great for introducing people into the world of Lua and programming, but for those wanting to pursue it further I find that block coding is very restricting and limiting. Its a massive jump from block coding to straight lines and statements.

If I were learning Lua or programming again, I (personally) would much prefer to learn the hard, traditional way and not use block or node coding. Block coding doesnā€™t really teach the user much apart from how to play around with scripts.

1 Like

I think BlockLua is really useful for beginners. Many people just do not understand the traditional way of scripting, all those keywords, data types, variables, functions, etc. And for them, this plugin is a great option as it really makes scripting simple as just dragging two blocks together.

As for itā€™s limiting, it is a little limiting, but not very. Like, even in Scratch people make whole 3D engines even though it was certainly not designed for that purpose. I think that BlockLua is really capable of making complex games, itā€™s just about the effort and experience someone is willing to put into it.

Also, the plugin has the Lua Mirror feature which can help to some extent with learning actual Lua. Of course it wonā€™t teach you scripting completely but it can certainly help a lot.

2 Likes

From me coming with this suggestion to an actual website! I like the updates/how its going. Keep it up!

1 Like

Do you have ANY other Tutorial on best practices etc ?

Is there any place/website/documentation where we can learn more use cases ?

I am very likely buying laterā€¦ so need to know above. Thanks.
EDIT: Purchased

1 Like

So I have installed itā€¦ and working fine on my PC.
But it is not working on my laptop. Opens - but I canā€™t drag anything into script area.

When our power goes out for 2 hours (loadshedding / national power cuts in South Africa) ā€¦ I need to switch over to the laptopā€¦ backup.
Now though tested - I know I canā€™t have both PC & laptop signed into the same user account
(and the fact that it is only registered on my TQNY2 account & not my Alt testing acc).

Do you know any issues that prevent thisā€¦ or any solutions ?
Thanks

1 Like

You can certainly use the same account on both devices, Roblox Studio should allow you to login. Also the plugin should work on laptop as well cause it works for me on my laptop. Maybe you should follow the steps in the OP which tells you the generic solutions to problems like these.

3 Likes