Bloxbiz | An in-game ad platform to help with monetization

Let’s be honest. In a shooter game (a FPS as shown your website) Nobody, is going to intentionally look 10 seconds at a buildboard. Like come on . Find a better example maybe?

*From www.bloxbiz.com *

Like my guy is trying to not die here, in a FPS you are constantly moving. Not sitting waiting for something to happen…

7 Likes

The 10 seconds is cumulative. For example, a player can view an ad for 5 seconds, look away, and then view it for another 5 seconds for a total of 10 cumulative seconds. So if ads are placed around the map, it’s fairly easy to hit that 10 seconds of cumulative view time.

From the original post:

Bloxbiz follows the advertising industry standard for in-game impression measurement established by the IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau). An impression is 10 seconds of cumulative view time. For example, a player can view an ad for 5 seconds, look away, and then view it for another 5 seconds for a total of 10 cumulative seconds. Bloxbiz also measures if an ad is on screen, unobstructed, and other aspects (ie. ad angle and screen coverage) to ensure an ad is viewable.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly how their module works, but if it’s just looking at camera and viewport to see where someone is looking, you might even look at it and it’s just in your peripheral and it might count. But like I said, I have no idea how the detection works internally.

I get that you can count it as a impression, I’m talking about engagement here. Companies are going to get significantly less “clicks” then a YouTube ad. No one is going to stop what there doing, go to google, then search up the company so they can go to their product website. Any other form of advertising is better and will get the company more bang for there buck. Not to mention it’s only in a few games.

But the thing is, this is going by impressions, not clicks. Why do you think Times Square is filled with billboards that people pay thousands for? Roblox is kinda the same, but even better, it’s a virtual environment (people are already on devices ready to look something up), and it can access people from all around the world. Times Square can’t get to someone in Europe the same way a billboard in roblox can. I guess what we really need is data, see if companies are willing to advertise on this service and if it’s any good.

There are a few reasons why this won’t work in roblox:

1. Why am I going to stop playing my game in order to look at the billboard?
  2. Most roblox users are under 18, thus limiting the amount of money companies can make off of them.
  3. There are better ways of advertising. Why waste money on this?

No one goes out of their ways to look at ads. Most advertisers know this. What they do is create an eye catching image/video that makes you do a double take. Like why would I spend robux on a sponsored slot, when I myself have never once clicked on a sponsor slot game nor do I even notice them… most of the time. However, sometimes I do notice them because of a catchy icon that makes me click back so I can get a better look at it.

Users under 18 make no difference. All it does is limit what can be advertised and tracking (because of the <13 userbase due to COPPA). A lot of things like adsense track user’s data so they know what to show them based on interest, because of the privacy policy roblox has, this is not allowed, so ads are just more general and not fitted for you specifically, like a real billboard. Like I said, people won’t have to go out of their way to stop playing a game to look at an ad, but rather it can be in their peripheral and, if it’s catchy enough, double takes will happen and people will look at them without even consciously realizing.

Just like the old roblox ads with banners and skyscraper ads, people made them to look good to get people to click. Billboards are a specific subset of advertising with a whole separate market. They have people that have specifically analyzed billboard advertising and how to make the best one for their company that will get the most impressions, double takes, and people to look at the product.

3 Likes

In the image there are 2 Bloxbiz ads visible. Will 1 second of view time count as 2 seconds towards an ad impression?

2 Likes

I wonder if 140k+ MAU and Above Average player retention would boost up the chances for me to join!

Any idea how will I get a response once I signed up? Email, discord, Roblox. Can anyone tell me? :smile:

Pretty interesting idea.
I am curious about what “major brands” are.

Here’s a screenshot of an ad for the upcoming release of DreamWork’s Spirit Untamed that is running in Gacha Online and other games.

5 Likes

Heya, question about revenue splitting.

As I’m sure you know, many top games split revenue between developers. Do your systems support a payment model like this?

7 Likes

Nice! Only if I had more that 200 visits ;/

For anyone curious, we released a case study and video from our recent campaign for DreamWorks’ Spirit Untamed:

2 Likes

We do not support this today. You’ll have to pick one person on your team to receive payouts and then split the payouts within your team.

We’ve heard this request a few times now and it’s on our roadmap, but it’s very complicated to build. Going to take us a while until we support this.

1 Like

Just wondering how this will affect bloxbiz? If at all

2 Likes

Considering that they use completely separate companies from Roblox, this may not be possible anymore.

In this case, I’m not sure if this is exactly true. Since the developer does not directly chose what ads are shown and another player (who does not own the experience) has control over what players in your experience can see, they prohibited it. It is understandable, anything in a game that is added that the developer does not have control of (such as ads that are not directly added by them), it could potentially harm players playing the game and/or ruin the user experience.

2 Likes

Why was this deleted?

Anyway, as for @iamtryingtofindaname, This service promised that no offensive ads would be displayed. In the event that one was, it would be logical for the service to be banned. But this service has been getting developers tons of profit that Roblox wouldn’t give them independently. Some people need to make a living from developing.

It’s just like any service really. Does an offensive ad get played? if one did, it’s logical to complain and ban the service. But a service that has been helping developers, has promised to stay safe AND has yet to post anything offensive being banned WITHOUT CONTACTING BLOXBIZ TO WARN THEM is unfair.

1 Like