BlurEffect.Direction (Vector2)

It is currently too hard to make good-looking motion blur. You can blur the screen based on how fast the camera is rotating, but that looks odd if the blur doesn’t have a direction. Blur.Direction would be a Vector2 value that makes the blur go in a specific direction.

12 Likes

Maybe just a separate blur effect for motion blur, or like an enum to set the type of blur alg used? (Since there’s lots of different types of blurs)

3 Likes

What kinds of games does motion blur benefit?

I play shooters mostly and I always turn it off. It makes everything look bad imo.

6 Likes

yeah same, if a game has motion blur I always turn it off. Its annoying

2 Likes

I could think of a story game with a good use of blur - for example lets say in the story game the character loses their classes you could apply a blur effect to indicate you’ve lost the glasses and make it quite realistic or using a telescope to view something it’s blurry but you gradually manage to focus it in and lose the blur.

I agree in shooting games it would probably look nasty but I could find some legitimate use cases in a story driven game.

This feature request is specifically for motion blur.

For regular blur check out BlurEffect.

2 Likes

Many racing games or games that involve moving fast like Mirror’s Edge use motion blur to get a sense of speed. Crysis 1 did it to individual objects that move fast. Like when reloading a gun. Killzone 3 did it in various situations when reloading, aiming etc.

Motion blur can do a good job at making things feel more ‘intense’ or ‘real’ when used in a smart way, but is often abused like chromatic aberration.

2 Likes