BlurEffect.ImageMaskId

So I had an idea a while ago for an update to the blur object; a layer mask that acts the same way as a mask in Photoshop (basically a transparency filter). It’d be a standard decal in black-and-white, uploaded as per usual and added to the Blur object exactly the same way as for an ImageLabel.
(very bad imitation of what I’m meaning)
It would apply the blur in specific areas, allowing far more creativity with the effect (e.g. a hacky motion-blur etc.).

Mock-up of the effect it would produce (the small black-and-white thumbnail is the mask being applied to the main white image).

######(Can some kind soul at RDC suggest this during Q&A plz lol)

21 Likes

Should be Client Features since it’s an engine/API feature

3 Likes

This is still a useful feature to me. With this feature, I could recreate the blurs seen in the sniper rifles in modern Call of Duty games.

Note how the rest of the screen is blurred, while the scope is not. This makes it so that the gun scope doesn’t hide your entire screen, which can look weird, and lets the player focus on their target. To my knowledge, this is not currently possible without doing something hacky like blurring the whole lighting, and creating a ViewportFrame to overlap, but then you need to copy the entire world every frame, as well as losing particles and lighting and more.

With the ability to mask blur effects, however, I could simply make a circle, where the inside is unblurred.

11 Likes

I think the reasoning for the feature request here is supportive of this: ViewportFrames PostEffect support
I also think that this would allow for a lot of nice effects.

I also think that if BlurEffect extended the Image instance and became a GuiObject a TON could be done with this especially with UIGradient.

2 Likes