Brand New Bubble Chat Customizations

To put it simply, it would be nice if the function worked as it describes on the wiki, without this highlighted section.

3 Likes

Idk how to put it to work :C someone help?

is this what you’re referring to

if it is, read through that devhub tutorial and see if it helps you out

I’m trying to make it the gradient bubble chat but I don’t know how to get it working, or even the background image, i’m not familiarized with those things and how they work.

1 Like

Without going to much into details, making this bubble chat system a CoreScript was a constraint imposed by the fact that we need to import various core libraries. Your concerns have been noted. Our hope is to eventually provide enough customization features to cover these use cases that were mentioned here and in other replies.

This is a good point, I’ll be noting that down and see if we could do something about this. I agree that the wording on the wiki is a bit confusing, that sentence should be interpreted as “every player will have the default bubble chat look (because no settings table was specified for them), except for the local player.”

Of course! For details on how to achieve this, please refer to the very last section of this article

5 Likes

Oop, just got an better reading on it and I figured out, thanks!

2 Likes

This looks great! I’ll definitely use this on my games for sure. :grin:

1 Like

You simply have to find the old forked version of the bubble chat and no it’s not “buggy and broken”.

1 Like

Pretty cool update, thanks for the customization options! One question though. When will we ever need to redo chat bubbles. Its a cool update and all, but I don’t really see a point in it. All the games seem to be doing just fine with normal bubble chats.

These are the types of updates I like to see. Glad to see an update that actually benefits us developers, rather than pointless updates that just make the platform more foreign. Keep up the good work. :+1:

could i customize it without code? seems cool and all but could you just have it setup in properties?
it would make it alot easier. just select font color etc. kinda like on gui.

1 Like

Will we be able to customize the overall looks of bubble chat? Like actually being able to make a bubble chat background with decals?

With respect to the UserSpecificSettings feature, note that it would be massively preferable if it defaulted to the settings the developer has defined in the main settings table. Under no circumstances would I ever want it to set the rest of the settings to the Roblox default. The bubbles should be always be consistent with the styling I have defined for my game, with whatever overrides I’ve defined in the UserSpecificSettings table applied additively. It is needless cruft to have to redefine all of these settings again.

Couldn’t tell from your reply if the sentiment around this change in behavior is positive or not so I felt I needed to stress it, sorry.

8 Likes

Hmmm, is there a way to change the color of the tail?

Don’t know who writes these articles, but they need to start proof-reading them:

Code given will throw an error due to ‘chat’ not being a function of Chat Service.

Great to see more customization on the new bubble chat. Though i’m still wondering if there will be a SizeOffset property for the new bubble chat soon?

Currently my game uses Offset for sizing nametags, and for that my bubble chat needs to use the SizeOffset property to make sure it doesnt overlap with the tag. It would be convenient if they would add such a property to the new bubble chat.

Using Chat:chat works without errors, so the only problem is inconsistency (all PascalCase methods, properties, events, and callbacks on Instances have an equivalent camelCase method).

2 Likes

Oh? That’s interesting since usually they’d error if it wasn’t case sensitive not sure when or how that changed.

1 Like

Omg thank you for this, I have been needing this for so long

Nice. Very useful update for a new game im making.