Brand New Bubble Chat Customizations

Hello developers!

Last year, we completely reworked the in-game bubble chat. We’ve been listening to your feedback and are excited to release even more improvements + customization features!

(if you haven't already, here's how you can enable bubble chat)

Enable it through the BubbleChatEnabled property in the Chat service (game.Chat):

Or through a (client-side) script:

local chat = game:GetService("Chat")
chat.BubbleChatEnabled = true

New Customization Options

We’ve added many new settings through the SetBubbleChatSettings API to support things like: images, gradients, and better animations.

Here are just a few of the additional customization options that have been added since the release of the new bubble chat in October 2020. For full details, refer to the DevHub article below.

• BackgroundImage settings
  • BackgroundGradient settings
  • SizeAnimation & TransparencyAnimation settings
  • AdorneeName
  • CornerEnabled
  • LocalPlayerStudsOffset

Different Styles for Different Users

You can now create unique chat bubble styles for specific users types! For example, you could add a visual distinction to differentiate between teams, friends, or even game pass-owners. Read more about UserSpecificSettings in the Dev Hub article linked below.

NPC-Conversation-smm

Read through the full bubble chat tutorial over on the DevHub!

554 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 12 minutes.

Will we be able to specify the corner radius?

39 Likes

Is there a plan to have a way in which we can adjust the settings for each specific chat message that is sent?

17 Likes

Yes! This is amazing! The one last thing I’d want to see is customizable shapes for the chat messages.

17 Likes

It’s nice to now have an easier way to do this. Looking forward to the personalization options that will inevitably come with it.

7 Likes

Is there currently a feature that allows us to customize the bubble chat UI depending if a player is in team-chat or not? This is something that could be done by forking the old bubble chat system and would be a nice feature for a game I work on.

11 Likes

will there be an option where you can also enable the old bubble chat in your game if you dont want the new bubble chat?
aka this:

edit: wait nevermind i was wrong about what i said

for a second i thought this was going to replace the current bubble chat we have today, but when i looked more into the topic, it was actually about customization stuff to make your bubble chat look more modern and appealing to your game

5 Likes

Nice update it makes bubble chat easier to read now!!!

you know i will go for Dark mode better for eyes …

8 Likes

Thank you so much! This will be so useful for improving my old bubble chat theme!
(a theme for the new rework that looks like the old bubble chat)

Also, I’m working on a full nametag rework, and I’ve really been hoping for player-specific customization + adornee customization. This makes my system possible!

5 Likes

Now this is really cool! I don’t do studio work myself but I can this will be easier for developers! This will definitely be useful for the different types on genres there are on Roblox!

7 Likes

You would just not manipulate the settings at all.

3 Likes

when you said “manipulate the settings”, are you saying like there wont be an option where i can add back the old bubble chat in roblox studio or am i not understand much from your reply

1 Like

Cannot express how crucial this update was for us!

Our game struggled to make good use of this new feature due to the lack of adornee customization, and that addition alone has made this a viable tool to use.

The additional customization options are convenient to use and implement; exactly what I wanted from a reworked chat bubble system.

This is a 10/10 update. Kudos to the Roblox Staff who worked on this and made it possible!

9 Likes

10/10

I’ve been waiting for something like this for quite a while, adding this to my “experience” right now!

2 Likes

Like manipulation of a majority of core Roblox ui, it takes a dictionary that can define specific settings. This is explained in the documentation that has been listed at the bottom of the post. You don’t need to call :SetBubbleChatSettings() at all if you just want it to be normal.

3 Likes

Good update; however it is still missing a much-asked-for feature, setting chat customization per channel or per message. For instance, setting the background color of a team chat bubble or a whisper bubble. Please implement this, thank you.

1 Like

You’re already able to do so, by doing the following:

local Chat = game:GetService("Chat")

Chat:SetBubbleChatSettings({
    CornerRadius = UDim.new(0, 12)  -- Set it to whatever radius you want.
})
4 Likes

I’m really happy with this update! I wasn’t satisfied by the initial release of the new bubble chat, due to the lack of customization. Now, all of my problems with it have been solved! I’m looking forward to using the new features.

There is a setting for CornerRadius. It isn’t mentioned in the post, but it is in the Developer Hub page at the bottom of the post.

If you’re referring to the old bubble chat that was buggy and broken, I don’t think so. But, you can easily recreate the look of the old one with the new bubble chat settings (corner radius, background color, disabled animations)

2 Likes

You sure can, using the CornerRadius setting! Here’s a client-side example snippet:
game:GetService("Chat"):SetBubbleChatSettings({CornerRadius = UDim.new(1, 0)})

No plan for this yet, but I’d be curious to hear what would be the use cases/user stories for this that wouldn’t be covered by the new UserSpecificSettings system!

Since this update, you can now use custom images to use as the bubble’s background, so you can provide your own custom shapes now!

7 Likes