Breeze into Wind! [Fully Released]

You can already easily achieve this with just a bit of scripting:

local runService = game:GetService("RunService")

local function changeWater()
	workspace.GlobalWind = workspace.GlobalWind + Vector3.new(0.01, 0, 0.01) -- for demonstration
	local coefficientWWSpeed = 1 --changes the scale of how much you want wind to affect WaterWaveSpeed
	workspace.Terrain.WaterWaveSpeed = coefficientWWSpeed * (workspace.GlobalWind.X^2 + workspace.GlobalWind.Z^2)^0.5
	print(workspace.Terrain.WaterWaveSpeed) -- for demonstration
	local WWsize = 0.1 + (((workspace.GlobalWind.X^2 + workspace.GlobalWind.Z^2)^0.5)^0.85)/75
	workspace.Terrain.WaterWaveSize = WWsize
	print(workspace.Terrain.WaterWaveSize) -- for demonstration
end

runService.Heartbeat:Connect(changeWater)

The incremental increase in wind speed and the two print lines are for demonstration purposes, you should get rid of those three lines when implementing.

1 Like

Suphi Kaner

Has created a Plug-in called “Infinite Scripter” as well as “Infinite Terrain” that allows you to program in a way the majority deemed impossible.

I urge you to look into it if you want to simulate endless seeds in a likeness to Minecraft using ROBLOX terrain, it’s very in-depth and explains it extremely well.

1 Like

ultra realistic games will get on top

If possible in the future, can we get different wind speeds for different altitudes? Currently, high wind speeds are needed to make the clouds move, which on the ground with grass makes it look like a typhoon is happening. In real life, there are much faster wind speeds at higher altitudes.

1 Like

So this is very cool and very pretty however my first thought is.

How are indoors handled.

For example let’s say I have a tavern in the middle of a grass field.

The tavern has candles on the table with little fire particle effects.

I’m assuming this means that the swinging grass in the wind and the candles inside the tavern are both going to react the same.

Are there plans on how to handle the situation of caves and buildings which all have internal structures which wouldn’t make sense for the contents of them to react with the wind?

1 Like

This is exactly why they need to create “wind zones”, or in other words, something like an invisible part that has its own wind speed property. In these zones you can set a local wind speed, like Vector3.new(0,0,0) in buildings, and Vector3.new(200, 0, 0) in high altitudes where wind speeds are much faster.

speaking of grass i thin another thing would be nice would the ability to have the grass decor feature that exists for terrain only rn and make it have a instance like one of
but it would be for giving parts grass decoration.

1 Like

This is huge. You don’t know how perfect this timing is for this update. Sure, it came out more than a month ago, but I haven’t been on Roblox lately xD

There is one thing I’d like to say, tho. Ik lots of people have already vouched for some sort of local wind to be added, but I’d like to request a type of wind… that comes from a point. I have a gem in my game that can control wind (lore-wise, not code-wise), and before you get it in-game I would like it to emit a huge wind-bubble-thing. Like, a raging windstorm coming from the gem. I haven’t seen many people (actually none I think) request for wind from a point in space going out in a circular shape…

Maybe, if you do add LocalWind or something, you could set a WindPart.WindEmissionType Enum type to Enum.WindEmissionType.Radial, and have it blow from an origin point of a sphere out for a certain WindPart.RadiusLength. And, ofc, the RadiusLength would only be available when the WindEmissionType is radial. Maybe even have a number value called WindPart.DecayRate that would be in how many SPS go down per each stud for any emission type as well. These are just a bunch of suggestions that, yes, would make the Roblox wind release date even farther away, but would make things so much better… alsohahabigparagraphgobrrrrrrr

Lemme just check if I’m getting this right… as long as Drag is more than 0, along with the option, wind will affect it? And when the Drag is 0 but the option is on it won’t get affected, correct? I’d change the name to be more forward abt that. It seems, from the name, that wind would only affect Drag, not the particles as a whole. Maybe with the name changed, and the inferred link between those properties gone, you could lock the property if Drag is 0. Again, just some suggestions :wink:

Sincerely, an aspiring developer who probably is way too ambitious with his ideas.

EDIT: Literally just found someone say something about

now I feel stupid…

Hey, at least I elaborated on what he might’ve meant… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As someone who uses wind as a golf mechanic in my game, this makes me very, very happy. No need to script so every wind affected particle changes based on my wind vector3value anymore. Will it be possible for wind to affect part physics in the future? Something like a “WindAffectsMovement” property to toggle on them would be nice.

1 Like

i also love this wind update since the cloud system update! on particular, the UI that controls the amount of wind is so much fun :shock:

1 Like

Just wondering if the source code for the Wind widget was open source, the system for the windsock animation looks insane since it is most likely using mesh deformation and it would be very useful for the community in general, Thanks

2 Likes

actually it does. scripting is required for items to function with the wind, we want the tree meshes to flow with roblox’s wind, that is what we aim for, but there is not yet a known possible way

Maybe you should have said that the current AI assist does not know of the Wind feature’s existence instead? Your original reply made it seem like AI code assist was broken entirely for you.

Also, I think you could have parts affected by wind. It seems like a simple sine wave multiplication that moves grass back and forth, multiplied by the wind speed in some way.

You can make a blocky climbable rope simply by putting a truss around it and setting the truss’s transparency to 1. Not exactly realistic, but great if it suits the style of the game.

When will being able to customize the Terrain grass be possible? I wish I could use the grass feature but I can’t because the grass height it too tall, it would be amazing to be able to change the grass height.

1 Like

Can you make it so that parts can also be affected by wind? As in real life some things are able to move with wind force
For example:
Lighter unanchored parts will be easy to be dragged along.
Heavier unanchored parts will need more force to be dragged along the ground.
And there has to be a variable so that wind cannot affect said parts.
If true, the wind cannot blow that part.
If false, the wind can blow that part
(The speed depends on the mass of the object)
Heavier = slower
Lighter = faster
So can you add the WindAffectsDrag property for the parts as well? to enable to the movement of unanchored parts based on wind force?

1 Like

I just read that an update for setting the grass height is upcoming.

1 Like

Really? Do you know where you read that at? If so, that’ll be amazing. I know alot of people have requested for them to do an update for it.

1 Like

I was just checking out all the posts at the bottom of my screen that I was tracking this morning, but I didn’t reply to it and now I can’t remember it.
As far as I can remember it was a fairly recent post and it was by a Roblox staff member, sorry, can’t find it now.

2 Likes

Would love to see more interactive grass as well. It doesn’t just have to be with players, it could be even deformed by having objects placed on it as well.

2 Likes