Bring back genre selection to the games page!

Lets take a poll! Would the game genre tab help you as a Roblox developer or player?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

As a Roblox developer and Roblox player, I believe it is hard to find games similar to ones I already like. For example, I am into sports games. I want to look for new sports games however I can’t discover any new ones without them being popular, or finding them on Twitter.

At this time genres have little purpose for games. They are just there. For the most part you already know that a game is a certain genre by looking at the thumbnails and name.

If Roblox added the genre select back into the games page it would help smaller developers with less robux to monetize their game. It would encourage developers overall to take small steps of reaching front page of the genre. As a player, it would help people find more games to play that they like which will create a better community environment.

Example Image from before removal

If you have other reasons, not mentioned in the post, why we need the genre selection tab added back, please comment below. I will try and incorporate them into the original post.

27 Likes

Genres were removed in 2017 since most games left them as “All” and the genres were really limited. The restrictiveness of a fixed amount of genres really constrains games where something like custom genres or tags would address.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/genre-is-no-longer-on-games-page/58316/13

3 Likes

This was already suggested a few times under this thread

I’d love to see them bring back genres, and I think it’d truly be beneficial to game developers

3 Likes

They could add more genres to fulfill more needs as mentioned by glurbman. They could also add an “other” genre where you type your own genre like you mentioned, however, that would be hard with filter and so much randomness. If there was a controlled way to do custom genres then that could definitely be added along with the genre tab. The genre select would overall help smaller games even though it’s not perfect to fit everyone’s needs. With Roblox becoming more and more populous (Congrats Roblox, on reaching 100 million active users a month) the genre tab would see more activity. As for the tags, I believe they would be heavily abused like some put in their game descriptions unless there would be a limit so they can’t be overtaking and used for click bait. Roblox also admitted to “We did not provide a way for developers to set a genre by default which caused poor results.” Now by setting a genre by default it would not result the same way. There are no real negatives to adding it for people to use, it would be another tool available.

4 Likes

As a Roblox User, it is currently too hard to find the Games i really like and want to play and that belong to the kind of game i want

If Roblox brings back the old feature that you can sort games by Genre then it would be very nice then we could search for better games and have some different on our site i feel no reason for roblox to remove that option currently clicking on the Genre below the game brings you to the front page. I would use more time playing roblox and it would be much Easier to find games i like! On the front page not even a single game is a game i search or want to play and on the front page all games are the same also we could focus onother games not only these random front page games.

How is roblox supposed to filter them?
When activating the filter these games will be sorted on Top Rated and Popular but only games related to the filter i addded i.e town and city ! It would be still on robloxs end on how the final product looks like this is only a idea! However still very usefull! comment your thoughs about this please.

2 Likes