Broken Imported Mesh [Splitting]

• What are you attempting to achieve?
    I’m attempting to import this mesh:
  • What is the issue?
    It imports without an issue but is completely and utterly broken:

Somehow the texture displayes somewhat correctly
  • What solutions have you tried so far?
    I’ve tried, lowering the poly count, tried importing with different settings, different file types (obj & fbx)

Any and all advice is appreciated, I’m at a loss of what to do. Is this a bug?
The files I’m referring to are:
ManHoleMesh.fbx (1.5 MB) ManHoleMesh.obj (2.5 MB)

EDIT: I’m using the Avatar Evolution build - 60K limit

2 Likes

I should add that it displays fine elsewhere, i.e 3D Viewer:

As you may know, when you import a mesh it can have, at max, 10,000 triangles. I don’t think I have a fix for it, but the problem could be that roblox is somehow allowing you to import a mesh with over 10,000 triangles. However, when it does get imported, roblox notices that it has over 10,000 triangles, causing your mesh to… well. mess up. (Or Mesh up ahaha)

This warning showed up when trying to import your mesh.

2 Likes

I’m using the Avatar Evolution build, i’ll note that in the post (my bad) - 60K limit

1 Like

Oh my bad. In that case I have no clue. So sorry.

1 Like

I see, I had this problem before, but, I approached it quite differently. It may be because there is less space between, so roblox studio isn’t as “detailed” as blender or any software you used to make the mesh. I had my low poly hill, which turned off less “detailed” then in blender.

You probably just didn’t export it with the smoothing shader but appreciate the reply all the same.

Maybe it’s because of your face orientation, read more about it here:

Basically, some of your faces are facing the wrong way, which causes some empty spots.

I’m actually using Autodesk Maya so im not sure if it applies.

It was generated using a height map

I’ve tried splitting the mesh in half and importing, it just crashes studio:

So, I went to do some research and help you out and I found a issue that happened before.
Check these out!

I hoped I help solve this problem!
Give me a solution check if it fixed it, thanks!

Also, check this post out by @Zomebody

He said quite some time ago.
Basically what Coeptus said. In Blender you can select your mesh, then select the option ‘recalculate outside’ which I think you can find under mesh > normals > recalculate outside.

I would also like to point out that your tri count is really high. You should be able to half it without any noticable difference. You can use a decimater modifier for that. - Credits to @Zomebody

1 Like

FIXED, thank you @KarzyKhaos @c0nzx @VegetationBush @TheGh0stRunner @GrenadeNade for all your help and advice. It appears the only fix was to reduce the poly count signifantly despite it being well under the limit for the avatar evolution build:

Despite this setback im happy with how it turned out:

5 Likes

If you can mark it solution, that would be great, so others can use that answer for next time!

1 Like

I did, thx

2 Likes

I love the outcome, it looks German style, where I was born! Reminds of the old times I lived there…Anyways, congrats on fixing it, I love it!

2 Likes

I appreciate it, posted some pics on my twitter if you’re interested:

UPDATE: I have removed the “Solved” tag as this is still an issue.
Every mesh I import at several different mesh sizes has the issue.

Should i report this as a bug with Avatar Evolution build or can I ping a roblox staff member here,
if so who? All advice appreciated.

I have tried this with 3 different meshes, all at different sizes. Avatar Evolution supports up to 60K and all of these needed to be under 10K to work.