Building question

Do you build with the grid on?

7 Likes

nah, it annoys me when it’s on

8 Likes

I build with the grid on just to align things more easily, or to easily see how many studs separate parts/models.

Nope

Whenever I build in studio I do. It helps me keep size in perspective.

But I mostly build live soooo…

1 Like

2 studs , 4 studs or 16 studs?

I usually keep it on 4 studs, although I’ll change it if I’m building something of smaller/bigger scale.

1 Like

I use 4 studs too. It reminds me of the good old days when I would build something in personal server using stamper then convert it to parts using f3x.

1 Like

Here’s my opinion on grid usage:

If you are building anything architectural it is usually considered bad practice to not use a grid; you will often misalign parts or things won’t quite touch because you’re depending on your hand movement accuracy to line things up. Especially if you are working together on a project it might mess with other things. One builder might for example build a creature that just barely fits through a dungeon door with the purpose that it can block the door and prevent players from entering. But then if the other builder doesn’t use a grid and just builds doors that are ‘about the same size’, he/she might make doors that are too small for the creature to stand in, thus the creature can’t properly block it and players can slip through the door. Or maybe you built a container that is 20 studs wide and tall so you can stack boxes in them that are 5x5x5 studs. If your builder makes a container that is 19.9 studs high and wide; too bad! These are just two example problems though, there are many other problems that may arise.

However, when it comes down to anything related to nature - animals and other non-architectural/non-technological subjects - it is better to not use a grid. Animals, plants and terrain all have shapes that do not represent any ‘rounded’ geometry. In fact, it looks out of place if you have symmetric trees or plants that are all 5 studs away from each other etc. Unless your code requires things to line up, it is better not to use a grid for these things. But even then you can sometimes mask your props with a nicely lined-up collision box/hitbox.

22 Likes

Nope, because I didn’t know there was a grid until I saw this post. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

i never use it because I never found it useful.

1 Like

I using grids only when i want keep good size.

The God Has Spoken!

Nope, and I use SBS so I know exactly how many studs I’ve moved on an axis anyways. I rarely move anything without that method so I know the exact distance from one asset to another. I also double check my work periodically to ensure it’s where it should be.

I also use a character model for scale.

What is SBS?

Studio Build Suite. A plugin with many of the same tools as F3X but with my preferred layout. Most importantly is counts the increments I move, resize, or rotate a part, model, or multiple parts.

I personally use scale amounts all the time, I usually use .1, .2, .5, and 1, rarely 0.05. I like the fact that I can throw builds together without having to worry about misalignment and such. I just find it much neater in general.

Yes, that scale for building is one that I use too, it works great and haven’t had issues with misalignment since I started using it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

SBS is interesting, I started out building with just the Studio tools, so when I found out about it and tried it out I couldn’t handle the change more or less. But from what I used, it is a nice plugin, just not my cup of tea.

Yea it isn’t for everyone. I just like the resize from center tool, the increment counter I mentioned, and the very easy quick keys.