Building Tools by F3X

Hey guys! I come to you with Building Tools by F3XΓÇöthe first product from the F3X team. Think of it as a toolbox filled with wonderfully simple and powerful tools.

It includes a move tool, a resize tool, a rotate tool, a paint tool, a surface tool, a material tool, an anchor tool, a collision tool, a new part tool, a mesh tool, a texture tool, a weld tool, a lighting tool, and a decorate tool. You can easily switch between these using shortcut keys.

Each tool has several options so as to make your building experience a lot easier and efficient. BT also lets you select multiple parts and work with them in bulk. You can select parts by clicking them individually, using rectangle select, or selecting all parts inside other parts. You can also clone and delete parts, and undo/redo any changes you make!

Not only that, but you can also EXPORT what you build in-game and import it into ROBLOX Studio! It’s perfect if you’d like to build with friends, or just build in-game. In fact, Building Tools by F3X actually has better building tools than ROBLOX Studio itself! (probably false, but not in my experience :lol:)

Get a copy here! http://www.roblox.com/Building-Tools-by-F3X-item?id=142785488

To import your creations into ROBLOX Studio, install this plugin: http://www.roblox.com/Import-from-Building-Tools-by-F3X-item?id=142485815

If you just wanna try it out live, check it out at http://www.roblox.com/Building-Tools-by-F3X-Showcase-place?id=120764109 but beware of exploiters!

Here are some screenshots if you can’t try it out at the moment: http://imgur.com/a/iQJgZ#0

Designed and built by the F3X team.

6 Likes

Ayyyyy that’s pretty neat - nice interface, too.
Thanks!

This is great! I’m definitely going to use this (when I get BC so I can have more than 1 active place)
I love the interface, the colors, the oooouuu la laaaaaaaaaa!

and I’m not even sure but I believe they added new keybind enums like KeyCode.Delete so it’d be nice if you could push that button to delete… but all in all, amaaaazing!

edit: yeah, http://anaminus.github.io/api/class/InputObject.html#memberKeyCode

[quote] This is great! I’m definitely going to use this (when I get BC so I can have more than 1 active place)
I love the interface, the colors, the oooouuu la laaaaaaaaaa!

and I’m not even sure but I believe they added new keybind enums like KeyCode.Delete so it’d be nice if you could push that button to delete… but all in all, amaaaazing!

edit: yeah, http://anaminus.github.io/api/class/InputObject.html#memberKeyCode [/quote]

Thanks! I’m glad you find it useful (and aesthetically pleasing) :stuck_out_tongue:

I refrained from using keyboard shortcuts other than regular letters along with shift to maintain compatibility and consistency across different operating systems, but for deleting you could use Shift + X (you can see the keyboard shortcuts for those operations by hovering over them in the dock GUI).

I’ve been making a build tool as well and I pretty much went in the total opposite direction as you. Mine’s just entirely keyboard shortcut based with an extremely minimal interface, aided by a really powerful command bar.

Glad there’s something out there for people who are more comfortable with a full interface though.

[quote] I’ve been making a build tool as well and I pretty much went in the total opposite direction as you. Mine’s just entirely keyboard shortcut based with an extremely minimal interface, aided by a really powerful command bar.

Glad there’s something out there for people who are more comfortable with a full interface though. [/quote]

That’s pretty cool; it’s like AutoCAD and Sublime Text’s command palette.

For those of you who wanted a plugin version of this: www.roblox.com/Building-Tools-by-F3X-Plugin-item?id=144950355

Just installed the plugin, I was not expecting much.
But after only a minute of screwing around with it, I’m hooked.
Very professional and has a useful tool-set.

So wow.

Much work.

Amazing.

2 Likes

How much work do you think it would be to modify these tools so that I could assign building areas to different groups of users in-game?

I’ve always wanted to make a “build a base and fight” game, but coding building tools in lua is my least favorite thing.

1 Like

[quote] How much work do you think it would be to modify these tools so that I could assign building areas to different groups of users in-game?

I’ve always wanted to make a “build a base and fight” game, but coding building tools in lua is my least favorite thing. [/quote]

It’d be rather easy, just add a condition to the isSelectable function that makes sure that the parts they are selecting are within the boundaries of their building area.

I’m planning on tacking on some features to help with my run-time map and asset building process.

Does F3X have a discord or is there a place where people talk about how to work with the code? I haven’t been able to find any discussion anywhere of people asking how best to add features to the tool, just requests that sometimes @GigsD4X implements and releases.

In my case, the top thing I need to add are better ways of working with roblox Model instances -

1. saving/loading models as named assets
  2. Allow copying parts out of models and parenting into new models (I think this may end up implementing a clipboard tool with copy/paste separate from the duplicate tool)
  3. General model awareness, so there is a panel that tells you what model you are working inside, with some metadata, and a tree dropdown to assist with re-parenting
  4. Node editor for changing configuration values and names inside the model
    and more model stuff.

I’ve discovered the Security and Region models and I’m figuring out how to work with that, but I haven’t found anything like discussion or documentation on how to do it.

Or if there is an F3X-endorsed way of adding plugins/extensions to the tool, etc.

I’m ok figuring it out on my own, but if there is a place people have been or are likely to be discussing that, please let me know where :slight_smile:
thanks!

(And, yes, I just necro’d a 7 year dead thread. I’m baffled I can’t find a single other place on the internet where someone has asked, “Hey, how can I add this to the F3X Build Tool?”. I searched. I tried. XD.)

1 Like

You got any plans for improving the plugin? There’s a few things you could add that would make this plugin even more neat. Like allowing for saving the type of increments you want to use, for example I switch back and forth between 0.25 and 0.125 when moving or resizing parts so if there was a way to switch between without having to put in the number it would move things quicker.

You could even add a shortcut key that’ll halve the current increment your using halved. So if you’re using a 0.5 and you hold down ctrl, that get’s halved down to 0.25.

What about an eyedropper tool? A simple change of the parts color by selecting another part and taking/cloning it’s brick color. You could even make a custom color palette, not sure if you have that.

Or have pre-made parts ready for use which already have customized color palettes, shape, and size. So that instead of having to add the default Roblox part which has it’s Material set to Plastic and it’s not anchored, you could have your own saved presets. Which have parts that are Smooth Plastic and Anchored.

These are a few things I could think of when building, how if I had this, things would be so much quicker i.e. convenient. I was even thinking about learning how to make Plugins and make my own Building Tools but it would be more interesting if these functions were added onto an already existing one.

I’m using F3X Building Tools right now and I’d have to say it’s pretty convenient. The shortcuts don’t seem to get in the way, and I can build without using the keyboard when I want to move just one hand.