Bumpy clothing in Blender?

Today when i looked through GFX portfolios i found this.
I noticed the clothes of the characters are bumpy.

Bumps(Highlighted with Red):

Is this possible to do in Blender or Photoshop? If so, how?

19 Likes

Most professionals use Photoshop to apply these bumps onto the texture of the clothing. You can use Paint or Gimp for this tho.

1 Like

Do you know how? I tried googling but I didn’t find anything on the subject.

1 Like

I think they are using Bump Maps.

1 Like

Probably has a roughness (controls the way light hits the surface) and bump map (creates a false 3D effect with the highlighted shadows) applied. You can find out more about the different types of maps here. In Maya, all you have to do is apply a texture, adjust the settings, and plug in photoshopped maps. I’d ask the creator of these GFX on how he was able to achieve this or look up some blender tutorials.

4 Likes

I sent him a Message I hope he responds.

The artist used a combination of multiple effects, bump maps (that are obvious in the face), cloth simulation (or sculpting) on the clothes and shadows added in post (or on cloth texture before render) with photoshop.

The cloth simulation or sculpting seen here is fairly advanced and I would recommend you to start experimenting with bump maps, instead. Regarding the shadows, you can use a dark soft brush in PhotoShop with decreased opacity. (You can do the same for highlights, with a white brush.)

7 Likes

What XanderjeKnal said is right, but these are pretty advanced, and I also suggest that you try out bump/normal mapping, or trying to add it in post. There was this video on someone doing a technique to make quick cloth, but it needs a little bit more work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jcinJDGfDw

1 Like

He just replied here is a quote of what he told me:

The clothes are made using Substance Painter Crease filter to ressemble folds. Sometimes I just use regular bump maps or customized ones

4 Likes