Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

cant wait till turns into a non beta im gonna have so many layers that it will look like i am preparing for winter

4 Likes

By using LOADS of clothing layers you can get this generic 80’s popstar-looking guy
obraz

78 Likes

I’m sorry but online dating isn’t that huge of a problem. If your worried that this will affect the small percentage of online daters then why even care about the update.

11 Likes

This is a great question and very thoughtful about trust and safety on the platform which we take very seriously. We will have a default modesty system at the platform avatar level when the full layered clothing system goes live and will release more information in the second half of the year. We expect to apply similar logic to avatar systems built entirely in-game by developers, but those safety plans are not yet finalized. We will be posting additional guidelines for body meshes and textures that are considered safe on the platform from moderation perspective. Stay tuned.

20 Likes

Good keen eye! We are looking at the fit more carefully but also are cognizant that it is not practical to get the “perfect” fit especially when the clothing that you built doesn’t fit a different body correctly. The upcoming updates to this functionality as mentioned in the original post includes Hidden Surface Removal, which will help us not only address these interpenetration issues between layers, but will also make it significantly performant with many layers of clothing.

6 Likes

I hate how the clothing looks like on non-rtho avatars. It just looks like it doesn’t even fit into the avatar.
here is how it looks like in action:

9 Likes

Do we also have an estimate date of this release for this feature or has its development not been started?

OK! Cool so while I have you here, I’m working on a game that works with Skinned Mesh and the entire character rig is all mesh. I some times run into a issue where the characters skin will slightly come out from the clothing. Will this upcoming feature be able to help prevent that? I’ve already adapted most of my clothing items with Weight Maps but some assets I haven’t got to.

13 Likes

I take it this is not working for skinned meshes yet? Since that would require it to deform more than once? Or am I doing something wrong?

Either way, there is already a way to get clothing to work although it’s not as easy as what this method is (going to be like, I assume, because it’s actually easier to go with the other method right now. But it doesn’t allow layering, which is probably the whole point of this, and I’m all for it!)

Edit: (I definitely did everything correctly up to using the plugin and having the WrapLayer deform to the target body on my dummy, not sure if I messed something up after that tho.)

6 Likes

I may be wrong but,

isn’t the grey block supposed to warp like the red…?

5 Likes

I like this! I am assuming it will work well with blocky characters sometime. In the meantime, w i d e

yIgTS2Z2UU

56 Likes

From whats shown so far, Im not sure I like layered clothing on non-rthro avatars, or maybe just the blocky ones, to be completely honest what Ive seen so far has looked almost like a meme. I at the same time think that layered clothing could be a big step in the right direction for roblox avatars and could make people take rthro much more seriously.

This is a bit off-topic from the post, but I hope there will be some form of this that looks better on classic avatars, but I just cant imagine how that would be accomplished.

3 Likes

The reason why this shows interpenetration of layers during animation is because the block body is rigid while the clothing is skinned (and hence deforming). The upcoming “hidden surface removal” update is expected to solve this problem.

5 Likes

This is not related but it has something to do with rthro because rthro has a higher hitboxes which is a disadvantage to users so can you look into it and make the hitboxes the same as normal avatar like r6 and r15

The Hidden Surface Removal system is built on top fo the Cage Deformers (hence requires WrapTarget and WrapLayer). It wouldn’t work in your case out of the box. What you would have to do is create a “cage” for your skinned bodies and have the clothing also fitted to the cage.

4 Likes

and thank you for looking into the hitboxes

1 Like

We are aware of this issue and are actively looking at providing options for consistent hitboxes in games that need it.

3 Likes

Would 3D clothing be animated in game when the player moves or would it cause to much lag?

1 Like

This seems pretty cool, this would definitely be fun to mess around with.

No, that’s not true, at least in my opinion. Roblox can still be the ‘lego game’ regardless of how much it improves, because you still can create old Roblox games without a problem.

We shouldn’t be limiting ourselves just because someone can use it to make something inappropriate. That’s like banning pencils because someone can draw inappropriate stuff with them.

18 Likes

Does this feature in particular help with preventing legs clipping through skirts, robes, and capes?

3 Likes