Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

This is great, but my only thing that i don’t like is with the normal R6/R15 character. It looks like it’s squished. But overall looks great on Rthro.

To clarify, this is not the final product, and this is just a test
The complete release of layered clothing will be obviously different tough

The final product might look something like this:
imagen

13 Likes

Im kinda wondering if it would prevent clipping through solid objects unless Can Collide were false for the solid object

1 Like

This is freaking awesome!!
I’ve been anticipating for the release of 3D clothing for months, and I almost never thought the beta would come out this soon!
I’m excited to see what I am able to make with this, but other people…not so much.
This could potentially be used for some inappropriate things, so I would say keep refining the thing.
Weight painting should be added.

Will this hidden surface removal be optional, or intelligent enough to identify when the wrapped mesh does not fully cover the underlying wrap target? I would like to try using this to wrap patterns to custom characters.

1 Like

Have you restarted Studio after you enabled the Cage Deformer beta?

2 Likes

I’m really excited to see this being implemented in roblox games, especially in those with more realistic gameplay, it looks amazing and if used correctly, this could give those games that last touch that they needed to look perfect.

GviuNP1yv0

As expected it takes a little bit to load the avatar with layered clothing and there aren’t real-time physics of the clothing by default, neither there will be in the full release I think, you would really need a good pc to run that. But although, it looks impressing

15 Likes

Will these clothes be compatible with R6?

3 Likes

For a moment I had thought this was the ability to move triangles and I was about to say that, that would be a huge leap in roblox development and wouldn’t even need blender as much unless you needed more complicated tools. That would be awesome to see if possible anyways.

My question for this though, will this badly impact performance? Optimization without Occlusion Culling would make games just run even worse because as of right now part faces (and their triangles!) don’t un-render when they’re not seen.

1 Like

Again this is a arthro good looking thing it won’t suit on the classic R6 or R15 but who knows maybe it will be a good step for roblox

1 Like

A lot of Roblox’s features have been additive - very few have been breaking legacy games, and the support of R6 is proof of this. You are utilizing the Texas sharpshooter fallacy, nitpicking on data and twisting it into a way that is biased towards your opinion, be it knowingly or unknowingly. The image provided which you cite leads to online dating is simply a tech-demo which showcases the capabilities of this beta. The real use-cases would be used in practically every game, blocky or not - biasing it towards a nostalgic look that would only appeal towards a niche community is not representative of a good move that a company would follow to thrive within the modern age. I understand your concerns with keeping the legacy games and styles, but no one is stopping you from making a blocky game - what is stopping you is the fact that you are, forgive me for being frank, unable to move on from your childhood. The vast majority of children now appeal to bright and shiny games like Adopt Me (hence why games of it’s genre thrive), and the old style of the old Roblox simply does not attract as many people anymore, other than a few conservative opinion holders that were active during the early days of Roblox.

14 Likes

im seriously excited for this update.
my main concern are lag and r6 compatibility
overall looks good for now!

2 Likes

Ok i cant find the data-model instances anywhere, I checked under data-model in the object browser, but they are not there, where else do i need to look?

2 Likes

Hopefully 3D clothing on blocky avatars is like this!

And not this.
I mean just look at this. Nightmare fuel.
imagen

30 Likes

This would be something I’d be interested in prototyping on the R15 character with my 3D-modelled clothes!

I wonder the feasibility of using clothing deformation on ragdolls?

17 Likes

im curious to see how the mesh rigged version of the 2.0 characters in your game would look, since the gaps on the original r15 2.0 always bothered me

with skinned clothing + mesh skinned character it’d probably look great

4 Likes

Always glad to see more flexibility and features in the game engine!

5 Likes

could we make our own layered clothing? or will it be locked for ugc only? id like to make some for a game but it would sucks if its ugc only.

3 Likes

Incredibly excited to see Roblox expanding to features such as this. I’ve been hoping these kinds of advanced features would one day come, and here they are. Great work Roblox staff!

4 Likes

Exciting! Will it effect hitboxes?

3 Likes