Calculating GFX Prices

I’ve seen renders go for thousands of robux, and in my mind I believe they shouldn’t cost so much, hence why I will explain my own opinions and ways of calculating prices for Roblox renders.

Part 1: Creating the render

Creating the render is simple and easy as long as you know a few basics. For reference I will use a render I created today.

This took me only about 1-1.5 hours to create, of which consists of a free model police car created by Roblox, and a few mountains scaled down to fit the area.

After rendering, I would go to a photo editor and add more effects to get this.

Doesn’t look the greatest, but could be used for someone’s game or such.

The total time goes to about 1.5 hours, and the total cost goes to about 0 dollars. This is why I believe you shouldn’t price your GFX at the hundreds to thousands.

Part 2: Calculating the price

Calculating the price is the easy part. To calculate it, simply add up all the costs it took you to create your render. For my reference, it took around 1.5 hours and cost absolutely no money, excluding electricity and internet prices, of which these should not be considered for calculating prices of renders.

Because this took 0 dollars to make, and does not look the greatest, I would price this no more than 30 robux. Seems like a very low price, but it’s what makes prices fair. Try calculating prices by how much time, effort, and money it took yourself to make your render.

For more reference, I’ll use one of my older renders.

Say I was a different person who actually sells their renders. This render was made the exact same way my most recent render was created, and cost absolutely 0 dollars to make. Now, lets say me acting as another person decided to sell this for 300 robux. To some people it might seem like a good price. But, like I said in the first few paragraphs of part 2, you should calculate the price by how much time, effort, and money it took you to make the render.

Part 3: Customer Needs and Customer Value

Now, I don’t mind you selling renders for hundreds of robux. But, the whole point of this topic is to tell GFX artists to not overprice their renders, and give customers more value to what their putting their money to.

Say a customer needed 5 well done renders by the end of the week, and today was Monday. You get 7 days to render and edit 5 renders. How much does it cost you is the main question. Lets say you finished the 5 renders by the end of the week. How much do you charge the customer?

This depends on the person and the quality of render, but I will use my own knowledge and understanding of other Roblox GFX artists. It does not take very much effort to create a single render, about 1-4 hours for a single one. It cost little to none to render and edit the GFX.

Back onto topic, customer needs is the easy thing that you don’t need to worry about. Customers in this case need renders, and you are a GFX artist, so no worries there.
Customer value is the big one. In my own words, give customers the value they need, instead of being overcharged.

The most important thing of calculating GFX prices is knowing how much someone would be willing to pay for a render. Now, even if someone said they would pay 500 robux for your render, would you really charge them that, knowing it didn’t take 7 dollars to make the render itself? Give customers the value they need.

Now, if your render really did cost 7 dollars to make, then it’s more reasonable to sell it for 500 robux. But, if it costs 7 dollars to make a simple render, I would suggest you use different programs that cost less, as cheaper alternatives may do what more expensive programs can do.

High chance I accidently skipped or forgot important parts, so if you do need more suggestions or have questions, reply to the topic and it may or may not be answered.

11 Likes

You seem to forget that ‘time is money’, pretty much why anyone with a job gets paid at all.
I don’t think anyone would like to be paid 30 robux (~38 cents or a third of that for robux exchange) for spending 1.5 hours on something, or even longer if there has to be made one or multiple props instead of free models.

17 Likes

Like I said, these were my own opinions, and I do not mind at all if anyone keeps selling their renders for hundreds.

In my opinion this topic was very poorly thought out. I agree with 25darkstar by saying that ‘time is money’. This should of been what you should of talked about most in this topic.

The whole reason people spend hundred or even thousands of robux on gfx’s is the simple fact that they can’t make one themselves, so they would rather hire someone who would do a decent job to make one for them.

In my opinion, the easist way of calculating the price of your gfx is by pricing it by what you think it should be, and If you get no customers just decrease it.

I got pretty mad when you said that the total cost goes to about 0 dollars because that is wrong. Do you know how much you can do in 1.5 hours…

Anyways this was just my opinion, sorry if it was abit ranty.

6 Likes

I think he’s talking about renders alone not being worth much, not GFX artwork complete with effects and editing.

I personally think stuff like this is worth thousands of robux per artwork.

But when you just make a render without editing it, it most certainly won’t be enough.

I’ve tried to sell work before to clients where it was pretty much a render.

But stuff like that doesnt sell and you end up having a hard time trying to get a decent payment.

When you just place models, render something and pawn it off as a completed artwork, most of the time it still feels like it’s missing something.

A lot of artists sometimes forget to edit their renders after finishing with Blender, as a result…you end up seeing a lot of content with a bland look to it.

Editing a render is very important, because with editing software you can do the following:

• Change the saturation.

• Change the contrast

• Add unique lighting.

• Add effects

Along with hundreds of other things you can do to improve your work.

For example…

This is one of the artworks I made a few months ago.

Right now, you’re seeing the unedited version.

Because of the fact that it’s only a render, it looks dull, bland and uncolorful.

It still looks decent in terms of quality, but no client would buy it for a price over 400 robux because of how unfinished it looks.

Now, here’s the final version.

With an editing software, the artwork now looks more colorful, unique and visually appeasing.

I think it would’ve been worth 1.2k easily, but due to the new group payout update…the client had to use a gamepass to pay for it and I couldn’t sell it for much due to the tax.

So I sold it for 850 robux instead, still a good price though ngl.

I do agree that artists should be valued more due to how long it takes to make something like this, but making something look great in the end takes a lot of time sadly…

Which is why making GFX is usually seen as a hobbyist job instead of being taken priority of, anyone who uses Blender as a freelancer struggles to turn that into a main source of income.

So, unfortunately…it’s a side-job to every GFX artist on Roblox.

It would be great if we could make much more profit with our GFX, but it’s not possible sadly.

6 Likes

I agree with most what you said but not with

It is.

Like everyone said, time costs money when you work. If you’re skilled enough to back it up, you can always negotiate prices that would get you ahead. Developers who make a living on Roblox charge a lot of money for different skillsets however the most common is the “15$/h” rule.

Don’t say that something isn’t possible because it always is.

2 Likes

Yeah…you make a good point.

I’ll probably update that part later.

Though I’ve never heard of a GFX artist that charges per hour tbh.

2 Likes

I just make a base price based off of how much time you normally take then increase by the average amount of customers I get. I charge 10k - 15k per GFX and also USD prices, as I get around 10-12 people a month ordering in bulk. The customers are the ones that come to you and they will go with what you charge. Learning all about composition, modeling, different design elements for months just to charge less than 7 dollars because “it didnt take 7 dollars to make the render itself” is absurd.

4 Likes

When I charged 1k robux I got flooded with people trying to buy from me, then I just increased and now I charge higher but do less amount of artwork so it still equals out with me not having to stress on making 10 different thumbnails compared to 1 thumbnail and getting the same amount of money.

3 Likes

Not to mean any offense, but I personally would pay 600 - 900 a piece for these. Now if each object was custom made, then I’d consider paying more for them. I’m not sure about the renders here, but custom work can make a difference. It shows that the artist is willing to put more effort into their art. (Not saying you don’t, yours look really good.) Like I said I mean no offense.

Edit: Just realized the bump, sorry bout that.