Camera Instances don't replicate in Team Create

Description:
Camera instances do not replicate in Team Create.
This includes ThumbnailCameras and can cause a desync in Team Create places.
Additionally, packages which have a Camera instance as a root will have very inconsistent/broken behavior when inserted as a side effect of this bug, and again, won’t save.

This is very likely due to the fact that Cameras do not replicate in servers at all, which is behavior that is used within one of my games to have server-only ModuleScripts that will never get sent to the client. (Yes, this is definitely bad and definitely hacky to rely on)

When creating a Camera, it does not replicate to the Team Create server.
When a Camera exists (and I’d assume if one were created) on the Team Create server it does not replicate to clients and will fail to show.

Where does the bug happen?:
The bug happens within any Team Create game where a Camera is created or already exists.

When did the bug start happening?
This bug has been happening since today, and likely a long time prior.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a place.
  2. Create a Model and insert a Camera, title it ThumbnailCamera to demonstrate that this also occurs where Cameras should definitely be intended to replicate. Optionally add a Folder within each camera with a unique name.
  3. Publish the place and reopen it (without Team Create). The ThumbnailCamera will still be present.
  4. Enable Team Create, the place will be reloaded automatically (The ThumbnailCamera will no longer be present)
  5. Publish again and disable Team Create (To demonstrate behavior on the Team Create server). The Camera will appear present again.
  6. Enable Team Create once more.
  7. Insert a new Camera and name it ThumbnailCamera. Publish the place, and reload it again. The ThumbnailCamera will have dissapeared since it did not replicate to the Team Create server.
  8. Insert a new Camera and name it ThumbnailCamera. Copy it, and disable Team Create. (To further demonstrate behaviour). The original ThumbnailCamera from the first time will still be present.
  9. Enable Team Create again, and once enabled, paste the ThumbnailCamera that was copied, and disable Team Create (To demonstrate that even if the camera is originally named ThumbnailCamera no behaviour is different)
  10. Do the same for packages to see that the behaviour is consistent for packages and will cause strange results.

Expected behaviour:
Personally, I would expect that the replication behaviour of Camera instances in normal servers to remain as it currently is, but, in Team Create servers I would expect them to replicate exactly as any other common instance would, e.g. like a Folder, where its replicable properties replicate, and its children would replicate. This makes behaviour consistent across non Team Create and Team Create places and does not lead to any strange desync issues.

Additionally, I think that in the case of non replicable properties, there should be clauses that allow them to replicate in TC only if they can also save, but, this behaviour isn’t directly related to the bug, and may likely be more difficult to resolve, its simply something that would be expressed similarly to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes