Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta]

This is a bug that is in the process of being fixed (I think it is slated to be released next week?)

5 Likes

How do i disable this update? I don’t like how my camera speed changes if i use the mouse wheel while holding the right mouse button

1 Like

I do not like this update at all. I am use to holding the right button on my mouse and now my controls are weird and is hard to develop with a smile on my face.

1 Like

Well that explains why I had to switch it on and others got it automatically. I selectively turn beta options on and off.

1 Like

Can not control camera movement while viewing in server, is it a bug of new feature? Please fix it. It broke my test process.

2 Likes

This would be an amazing feature if it didn’t use right click, this just shows how out of touch the Studio Builder Tools team are with the community. There isn’t even an option to change the keybind in settings.

4 Likes

This is most likely a bug! Just disable to beta feature for this then it should be back to before.

1 Like

Why are these changes always added without consideration for the many different types of navigation settings people prefer? Please add an option to disable some of the settings, especially the mouse scrolling feature… Horrible idea, though I’m grateful for other updates… (Edit) Pretty forgetful that there’s a beta section to disable this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A bug, see: Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta] - #142 by Dogekidd2012

2 Likes

EDIT: Fixed → Camera & Navigation Improvements [Beta] - #153 by CoIorEvent

Was this keybind removed? When I try to scroll now, nothing happens anymore (it doesn’t scroll or change the camera speed even with my right mouse down). I actually got used to this keybind, but if scrolling doesn’t exist at all, what was the point in removing this? To adjust my camera navigation speed I now have to stop moving, move my mouse to the right side of the screen, and then use the slider. I get that a lot of people were complaining, but there’s no reason not to have it if scrolling doesn’t exist anymore.

My camera navigation settings are:

Camera Speed: 1.566
Camera Pan Speed: 1
Camera Shift Speed: 0.2
Camera Mouse Wheel Speed: 15
Camera Zoom to Mouse Position: True
Camera Focus Tweening: True
Camera Focus Adapts Speed: True

If this is a problem on my end please let me know - I have already tried relaunching studio and restarting my computer. Also if there is anyway to get the scrolling back (without opting out of the beta), as well as the right mouse button and scroll wheel keybind to speed/slow the camera, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

1 Like

Nevermind, this seems to of fixed itself after I opted out of the beta and opted back in. That’s weird that I had to do that to get this to work again.

2 Likes

When this exits beta it would be great for it to be optional, even if it’s the default it would be nice for devs who are already accustomed to or prefer the current controls.

2 Likes

Unless I’ve missed something, it seems that this feature has been rolled out to users who aren’t enlisted in the beta. I’ve tried disabling it but there’s no setting I could find correlated to it. Is anyone else having this issue?

1 Like

Are you sure? What we’ve found every time is that you are actually enlisted in the beta channel. Turn this option off on the right, and opt out of the beta feature. We have not rolled out this feature to anyone outside of the beta channel yet.

1 Like

I have also tried unenrolling from the beta channel, and restarting studio, and I still am stuck with the new camera controls.

Reinstalled studio no longer have the camera changes.
Odd.

1 Like

bumping this, I’m really not a fan of this change

Hey all, providing an update on the changes rolling out next week with this beta.

First and foremost, we’ve decided to add a Studio setting to enable or disable the RMB + Scroll Wheel binding for modifying the free-camera movement speed. With this setting disabled, the RMB + Scroll combo will follow the old functionality of moving the camera forward and backwards. Thanks to @VGVC2, @Evercyan, @Rockerite, @PeZsmistic, @Mimi_Dev, and many others for bringing up their workflow concerns.

We’ve also addressed the lag spikes and frame drops observed when changing camera speed. Thanks to @sonostrano20, @Astra_X2, @apenzijncoolenleuk18d, @F_arside, @Plutonem, @Aspecky and others who brought this to our attention.

Lastly, we have fixed the regression with using camera controls in the server view mode. Thanks to @sleitnick, @sicknoobie, @sonostrano20, @Modern_developer2201, @JamieGamble22, @WillyChan15 and others who brought up this concern.

These changes should be live in Studio within the next week, and we’ll update this thread when you’ll be able to see them.

Thanks so much for your continued feedback, and we look forward to hearing more from you as the beta progresses!

15 Likes

Thanks for addressing these concerns so quickly!

I am curious, is it possible for the shortcut system in Studio to support customizing the binding for the RMB + scroll functionality? E.g. maybe interested developers could instead unbind it to disable it, or rebind it to a different pair of buttons or extra mouse buttons. I do love the quick access to changing the camera speed, but the default being the scroll wheel is dubious for me. I would rather rebind it than simply disable it (e.g. to extra mouse buttons if possible).

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s not easy to do this because bindings are based on Qt’s QActions currently, and those only expose a “triggered” event when the bound key is initially pressed, there’s no built-in way to know when the bound key is held down or released. So at least as far as a quick fix goes this wasn’t an option.

3 Likes

Can’t believe QT has gotten this far without this functionality tbh. Too bad.

Maybe the scroll toggle can still exist in settings, but additional actions can be added to increment/decrement the camera speed by some amount that are unbound by default? Not a great situation, not sure if it’s worth it. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes