Can I export portions of Smooth Terrain?

Is it possible for me to export a chunk of terrain?
I want to build a castle with Blender on top of a piece of landscape. But I’d need that landscape to prevent gaps and such.

Any ideas?

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s a direct way to export smooth terrain. I’d suggest trying to build triangle terrain over it and exporting that. Or, if you’re feeling tech-y, you could try a raycasting system and have it paint the blocks over the terrain for you.

2 Likes

Right click on Workspace.Terrain and then “Export Selection”.

4 Likes

But that exports the entire thing, which is rather laggy. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The absolute easiest way for you to achieve this, without doing any scripting, is to actually remove all other terrain except for the specific part you want to export, then do as Algy said. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I think Crazyman32 made a plugin for exporting a terrain selection to a separate place. That might be easier, actually.

3 Likes

In case of a manual approach reading terrain;

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Terrain/ReadVoxels

1 Like

Check out my Terrain Save and Load plugin.

What it does is uses the CopyRegion and PasteRegion Terrain methods to just save all the terrain into a TerrainRegion object. These objects can then be used to either save your terrain to be used elsewhere, or even to make map loaders that utilize different terrain!

NOTE: TerrainRegion objects DO NOT replicate. Thus, you can’t use this to load different terrain per-client. If you’re dynamically loading terrain during runtime, it has to be done server-side.

The plugin also comes with a button that lets you import a ModuleScript that allows you to easily save/load terrain. The same module that the plugin itself uses.

If you’re trying to save smaller chunks of terrain, my plugin won’t help you. You’ll have to use the CopyRegion method yourself. It wouldn’t be hard to make a plugin that lets you select a terrain region with a SelectionBox though.

9 Likes

Just too let you know that your plugin doesn’t work for some reason, I go into studio and install it but whenever I re-open studio it isn’t there. It shows in the “manage plugin” section but doesn’t allow me to use it. It may just be me or it may be a issue so I’m just letting you know.

It will appear in the Terrain tab. But as of recently, sometimes it doesn’t appear in the Terrain tab still. So I might just need to put it into its own toolbar so that it shows up under the Plugins tab instead.

3 Likes

I also have some suggestions for you! :smiley:

• Allow the user to at least move the copied terrain, no matter the size. That’d be so awesome to have;
  • It’d also be nice to have an option determining whether you want to keep the terrain you already have in the place you’re pasting in or not. :slight_smile:
  • Able to select a section of the full terrain, and copy that instead. I know I’ve asked that in the OP too, just hoping it changed. :joy: Maybe do it so by deleting everything around the selection (with a backup? Otherwise warn the user about that beforehand) and copy the remaining terrain after that?

This could come in very, very handy for me at least. Do you think that’s possible?

1 Like

Those are pretty major features, but nonetheless seem like they would add a lot of value to the plugin. I only have time on the weekends to do Roblox stuff though, so it might be a bit of time before I get to it.

3 Likes

Oh thanks, I presumed because it was a plugin that I could find it in the plugin tab. Thanks