Can I use PolicyService to allow only 13+ players to pay my game

Hi, I’m creating a game/product hub system. On entering the game for the first time, it prompts you to link your Roblox account to a Discord bot (so I can automate delivery of products, etc). However, Roblox does not allow <13s to view Discord links. I’ve taken that into consideration and I’m using PolicyService to check if “Discord” is allowed in the GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync AllowedExternalLinkReferences array. And if the user is not allowed to view Discord links, the get removed from the game.

I’m essentially wanting to know if this is fully compliant with Roblox’s ToS and Privacy Policy.

(wasn’t sure if this goes in Game Design or Scripting Support as this kinda falls under both categories)

2 Likes

I wonder if immediately kicking players from your game on join is a good idea.

4 Likes

Instead of kicking the player it shows a UI saying “Oh no! You need to be able to view Discord links to continue.”

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what exactly your system is? Why do you need to completely remove 13+ users from your game? Why do you need to link a Discord account to play?

You could just try to detect if the user has safe chat or not. I’m not really sure how to do this, but Basic Admin Essentials and Frappe’s Applications have managed it.

1 Like

Filter tests perhaps? FilterStringForUser or something like that

I’m not sure how you could do this. But if you used admin and did ;name all 123. Most people with safechat would be named ###. So maybe?

I only remove <13 uses as it’s agains the Roblox ToS to show/ask/give Discord links. The game is a purchase hub system, designed to work with a whitelist system. Users “buy” a license to a product and they automatically receive the product in Discord DMs. This system also reduces the chances of people leaking and reselling items bought. The reason it asks for their Discord username + tag is so they “link” their Roblox account to Discord in order to receive the products. Other product hub systems do this but lack proper detection on wether a user is allowed to see Discord links, thus meaning moderation action is taken on games.

1 Like

So you’re having users purchase real-world items with Robux and using Discord to deliver product codes and such?

Isn’t that against the ToS to sell things in-game for real life money?

6 Likes

No, there purchasing models/scripts etc for Roblox. Like CheckMeIn and most Roblox technology groups.

It’s purchased through Robux, no other form of payment.

There’s already a marketplace for this if I’m not mistaken. Paid packages.

2 Likes

Still once a user has bought a product they can just copy/download it and release it. This is where the whitelist system comes into play, it essentially renders the product useless without a whitelist.

There’s no way to allow someone to use a model in Roblox without preventing them from reselling/distributing it.

Even if you have 50 layers of whitelists, once they get into Studio they can grab it and then it’s out of your hands and there’s nothing you can do.

You’re just making the process of acquiring said models more inconvenient and you’re also limiting the users that can actually do that.

1 Like

If you had a paid checkin system (like CheckMeIn) and the code is obfuscated with a whitelist too, they can’t do anything with the product as they have no way to get the original code back to “remove” the whitelist.

Cool - you’re basically adding backdoors to the models you sold to people who paid for them.

I would definitely buy from someone who does that.

1 Like

How exactly is adding a whitelist to a product adding a backdoor? If all obfuscated code was a backdoor why are industries such as RoAviation still thriving, nearly all products there are whitelisted, how else do the developers of the products earn money?

Not everyone wants to make a game.

1 Like

The posts here are kinda skewing off topic here. Let’s stick to the original question:

Is it agains the Roblox ToS and/or Privacy Policy to use PolicyService->AllowedLinkReferences to determine if a user is <13?

1 Like

I don’t trust obfuscated code. Granted, that opinion is left over from an exploiting background where nothing can be trusted unless you have source code.

No, I don’t think so. Is it against ToS to kick all <13 players from your game? Probably not, but the user experience must be pretty bad for them. Is it against ToS to have a game that requires Discord? Well, maybe. Discord is banned for anyone under 13 and Roblox only approves of Discord references in their designated spots. Group pages, etc.

I’d wait for someone else to add their input as well.

2 Likes