Can roblox use ''normal'' normal maps?

For some it’s probably not an issue, but as a person who wants to actually use these maps in Blender it’s really frustrating. Why does roblox use these weird orange maps instead of blue ones like 99.99% of other games do?

1 Like

EDIT: Nevermind.

Anyway, normal maps are encoded. I’m going to play it safe and not say exactly how, but it’s probably a space-saving measure. A lot of games do this… not 0.01%…

Because Roblox normal maps are really for Roblox, not for Blender or “other games”.

With MeshParts though, exporting stuff from ROBLOX may regularly be imported back in. Wouldn’t it make sense to have normal maps that play nicely with Blender/etc, since the end goal is either rendering a game thumbnail/ad for ROBLOX or re-importing it as a meshpart (e.g. cleaning up a union’s geometry)?

No, of course not. Terrain normal maps are made specifically to render terrain, they are not designed to be used with user-created models.

Ah, sorry then. I haven’t had a reason to export anything since MeshParts aren’t on production yet, so I thought he was referring to normal maps on part materials – not terrain.

@maxvee I was referring to the part materials since the beginning, i didn’t know terrain had normal maps.

My explanation stands for parts as well.

The technical reason is this is mainly due to better quality after DXT5 compression.

Posts are hidden on multiple flags within a short amount of time (3 or 5?), not just one, and I would recommend not talking about flagged posts at all since that brings inappropriate discussion into the topic.

PS: not that it would matter, but your posts were flagged before I got there, so don’t aim at me

AFAIK TL4 (Leader) users (and maybe the ROBLOX_STAFF group) can instantly hide posts with their flags, so it wasn’t necessarily multiple people

FWIW, “99.99%” is incorrect, mildly speaking. Pretty much every good game uses encodings that are better than the “blue” one.

You’re confusing the way normal maps are produced by artists and what ends up in game. We use “blue” normalmaps and convert them to “orange” during an automatic content processing step.

1 Like