Can users create custom teams w/ copyrighted content?

Heyo, local American football game enthusiast here.

I’ve made two football games so far with the second being wildly successful a couple years ago. That game (along will all the other major football games) unfortunately is full of NFL, NCAA, CFL etc etc teams w/ their logos etc. It’s been almost 3 years since I released that game, and I decided this past April that I should make a sequel to that game with all original and self-made content.

The community of the first game have been very (to be nice about it) critical of this decision to have new original teams rather than them being able to play as their favorite real-life team. As a compromise between the need to use original content and a hesitant community I brought up the idea of having custom teams that players could make and use in public and private servers. However, here stands my question.

Are players allowed to upload their OWN content to their profile (i.e. shirts/pants/decals/ etc etc) and insert those ID’s into a custom team maker UI that they could then use in game? (Keep in mind this means that up to 6-8 players in a 8v8 match will wear those uniforms etc).

Say that I make 32 original teams completely unrelated to any real life team, and Player1 decides, “I hate all of these, I want to add the Seattle Seahawks to this game so that my friends and I can play as them”. He then proceeds to upload the decals and uniforms and punches the IDs into the custom team UI.

Would I as the game creator be penalized for allowing him to use copyrighted and unoriginal content in my game? Would it fall to Roblox to moderate that content? Would it fall to me?

I asked similar questions in a previous forum post here and the answer was that I myself cannot add NFL/NCAA/etc teams to my game, but it left the option open for users to input their own content.

Hopefully you guys can clear up this whole mess and I appreciate any reply that clears the fog a little. Thank you!

4 Likes

To be clear, this is my best guess based on what I’ve seen. Do not accept this as an authoratitve source. It is speculation. For a better answer you should make a support ticket using Roblox’s official support feature.

Letting players punch in IDs for content that only the person inputting can see should be guaranteed safe (except audio, which has its own rules).

Letting players punch in IDs for one play session, or until the server closes, should also be very safe because it will be quickly wiped away and isn’t supplied by you. For instance, what if someone built a Pikachu in a building game? Could be wrong on this, but I don’t think the owner would get punished for that.

Letting players punch in IDs that get stored in DataStore and then presented to other players in other servers… I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Something more permanently visible like that might as well have been uploaded in the game file.

2 Likes

I super appreciate your response. I’m going to go ahead and make that ticker or PM dev relations because this is truly a foggy issue.

A lot of league owners that run their seasons and games off my game are super concerned having to either switch to the new one and not be able to use the real life teams, or stick to the original game which will surely be pulled down eventually.

tl;dr community hates me for this, but I have to do it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.