Can you use NFL teams in football games?

Hi there!

I’ve been working on football games for about 3-4 years now and have a successful one called Football Universe. I was wondering what Roblox’s policy is when it comes to using NFL logos and their uniforms in those games. I am in the process of remastering my football game, and want to know if it’s viable to include NFL teams in and still either get sponsored or recognized by Roblox (either for toys, events etc). Previously, I have tried to get some sort of recognition for sponsorships, mentions etc but to no avail.

Roblox recently had a partnership event with the NFL league, and they had hats with the NFL logos on them for a couple months, then had to wipe them all off the website (From what I’m assuming the deal expiring and the NFL being picky over usage rights).

My other question is if they’re not allowed, why have games such as mine and others like Football Fusion/Legendary Football not already been taken down or striked? If anyone with knowledge of this matter, or any staffer from Roblox could help me clear this up, that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

2 Likes

The logos of the various teams of the NFL are trademarks that are owned by the NFL. As such, the only way to use the trademark of another without liability is with their permission. This permission will normally come in the form of a license. So no, you cannot.

3 Likes

I don’t believe you can. I’m not saying you should but I’ve never seen a football game get moderated for using NFL teams.

I mean I could see a game getting copy right striked by the EA or the NFL on roblox.

Like if you make everything same as Madden all that theres a pretty high chance you could get copyright striked by EA

You could get away with it for sure there are a ton of basketball games and there’s already pre existing Football Games that use NBA and NFL teams

Their brands constantly get reproduced because it is powered by fans anyways but I guess you run a small risk of trademark infringement

2 Likes

When you think about it though, anything that the NFL advertises, maintains and owns is owned and managed by them. I believe just to sell NFL merch you have to pay them 100K USD down just to get the license, and I can only imagine what it’s like to make a game based on their clubs.

It’d be fine to use the logos and uniforms I believe in a non-profit situation but if we’re being honest, Roblox is not a non-profit game platform and I’m sure as hell not going to invest months into a football themed game and not expect to get a dime out of it.

tl;dr don’t use NFL/NBA property without expecting some kind of repercussion eventually. The real question is when is that going to happen? considering sports games have been relatively quiet when it comes to getting shutdown.