CanCollide Reset On Rigged Character

I have a rigged character model that is put together with all the R15 parts and motor6ds. All the parts, except the HumanoidRootPart, are set to CanCollide = true (checked). Yet, when I hit play, then some of the parts get converted to CanCollide = false (unchecked).

Not sure why this happens, except maybe it is due to my model, and some of the parts intersecting when moving. But even so, I think my CanCollide setting should not be reset without consent.

Attached is a repo file. To replicate:

1. In studio, note that all the NPC parts are set to CanCollide checked.
  2. Hit the play button, and then note that some of the NPC parts now are set to CanCollide unchecked.

Repo CanCollide.rbxl (67.4 KB)

1 Like

This is standard Humanoid behavior.

Well, I am not so sure. I have seen no documentation describing that the CanCollide can be changed like this.

This is a problem when all of a sudden my custom character models have half of their parts reset to no collisions.

1 Like

It’s easy to check this for yourself.

You’re correct that this is undocumented, but that’s the case for a large amount of Humanoid behavior (see this thread and this thread).

3 Likes

Humanoids are a labyrinth of completely undocumented, bizarre behavior. With my custom characters, to mitigate insane unwanted behavior like this, I typically keep a nest of “required parts” hidden inside the character, then branch the actual character model off the rootpart.

Just keep in mind that the head part must be transparency < 1, or the nametag will not display. I typically set it to 0.99. Also note that at least for R6, tools seem to require a Right Shoulder attachment. If it’s not named properly, then they won’t work. (-:

3 Likes

You can always do head transparency 0 but have a mesh inside with the scale set to Vector3.new(0,0,0) which will make it have that ‘invisible’ look too. (:

1 Like