Cannot buy giftcards on Cashstar - Transaction declined

Post updated 15th July 2021 to be more concise. Problem still occurs.

What happens:

When buying giftcards through Cashstar the purchases often fail. They do rarely let you recieve the cards, but most of the time either:

• The website states Transaction declined - please check the details are correct and try again. If the issue persists, please contact our support team.
  • You recieve a confirmation email, but then you are immediately refunded by Cashstar.
  • Your money is taken, but is pending for around a week before it is refunded.

What should happen:

• You purchase the gift cards and receive the codes without a refund or failure.

Date first occured: Don’t have the exact date, but around February/April of this year (2021).

When I originally attempted to buy the cards, I was stuck in an infinite customer service loop I was told it it was a problem with my bank (it wasn’t) and my bank told me to contact Cashstar.

I am personally from the UK and use Windows 10, but from the replies you can see it happens all over the world. Problem occurs on multiple browsers.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT an issue with bank details, this is an issue with Cashstar declining/refunding purchases for seemingly no reason.

Emails from failed attempts to buy cards:

57 Likes

Tried buying from US. It’d act like my purchase went through (Including a confirmation email), but subsequently it failed and I got an email saying my order was cancelled. Tried using my mastercard card. Same thing as OP w/cashstar support.

17 Likes

I also experienced something similar. I attempted to purchase one $20 gift card from cashstar via debit card (visa). (I attempted to purchase for someone else, giving the website their email and a message to send with the card.)
Similar to @ArtemisTheDeer, my request went through and I was promptly emailed saying that my order was cancelled and they were, “Unable to Process Your Digital Gift Card Order”. I haven’t had time to reach out to cashstar support, but from what I’m hearing I don’t think it would make a difference.
Also buying from the US.

14 Likes

I can verify this experience too. Has happened since April 18th and not fixed yet (tried again yesterday). I called the number in the email which didn’t connect to anything. I tried chat help, was redirected to call processing. They couldn’t help and told me to email the technical team. No reply yet.

I ended up buying a physical gift card from the grocery store.

9 Likes

CashStar is actually pretty shady as there’s been multiple instances of them scamming users in and outside Roblox

The most problematic case happened in March (I think) where someone bought 200 USD of Roblox gift cards from cash star, but they didn’t receive any codes

I’m unsure why Roblox partnered with this company, as a google search of “is cashstar a scam” will bring its shady practices to light

10 Likes

Tried again today and I still cannot buy giftcards through Cashstar. I also got my parents to try with their details but doesn’t work for them either. Going to try to reach out to some friends to see if they can try buying them instead and see if that makes any difference.

8 Likes

The same thing happens to me when I try to buy giftcard from Cashstar.

5 Likes

Bumping this because I asked @Logicologist (from the US) to try and buy some cards and it didn’t work for them either.

6 Likes

Tried again today and it’s still broken unfortunately.

6 Likes

I purchased a digital gift card less than a week ago from the cashstar site with no problems. Received both the card code and item code. Not really sure what your issue is. From US for context.

1 Like

I tried purchasing a giftcard from cashstar, for some reason, it’s showing transaction declined, which was weird, since I purchased one few months back, and it worked.

6 Likes

Update:

I did manage to buy some gift cards the other day! It all worked fine, which is awesome!
It worked once, but since that one purchase I still cannot buy the gift cards. I’ve even left it a few day as I thought I may be confusing the system by trying so often. When I try to buy cards this pops up:

When this pops up, my bank is charged and immediately reversed by cashstar. Fine, but I then click continue with purchase and it goes through to the success screen stating my purchase was a success.

I get a confirmation email, my bank is charged, but then immediately the purchase is again reversed and I get this second email:

Very frustrating!

7 Likes

Update: This is still happening in different variations and seems to be affecting quite a lot of people :sob:

2 Likes

This keeps happening to me, only way to get a giftcard is through Amazon. However, that doesn’t give me the virtual items I want.

7 Likes

Six failed attempts at buying one $15 gift e-card today from Cashstar, and now a total of $90 remains “Pending” out of my PayPal account. This better be refunded or else. I asked for a humble digital card, not for my money to be stolen.

6 Likes

This seems to be have been fixed for me now. Till this wasn’t fixed I used Dundle.

1 Like

The same thing happened to me just now

2 Likes

happening to me as well + a friend

trying to buy gift card through cashstar which ive done multiple times so ik it should work, immediately ill get an email saying order has been processed, then right after get one saying they got a return request and i get refunded

2 Likes

It appears that CashStar apparently converts the USD to some weird currency which is very devalued, and has an incorrect transaction rate in which it makes no sense. Also, it appears that the system used for authentication of sorts does not work.

Used a Visa card, and even though I had a full 5 dollars, it did not let it through. The transaction constantly declined after a couple seconds for absolutely no reason.

2 Likes

Have this today, Used it due to the regular thing broken, My mom is confused and so am i, I am a little mad.

3 Likes