Cannot change game icon, "Unknown Error, please try again later."

When I go to upload an icon, it says “Unknown Error, please try again later.” It is happening for any icon uploaded, tested on 2 PCs, for my account. Tried different browsers as well. Also tried resetting the browser.

In the console, there is a CORs error blocking it because of a domain mismatch:

Access to fetch at ‘https://www.roblox.com/places/icons/add-icon’ from origin ‘https://create.roblox.com’ has been blocked by CORS policy: No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request’s mode to ‘no-cors’ to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

Expected behavior

The icon should upload without any errors.

Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/dashboard/creations/experiences/4065238430/places/11431155244/icon

5 Likes

I’ve been having this same problem; it’s really frustrating and it’s also happening for thumbnails for me

Can confirm this is happening for me too.

I also experienced a similar error when trying to update the group icon for one of the groups I own, so it’s not just games this is appearing for.
This also results in a “Unknown Error, please try again later.” error, and sometimes a “Unable to update group icon” error as previously discussed in this topic.

It responds with a 500 Internal Server Error.

Device Info

• User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/114.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
  • Platform Type: PC
  • Device Type: Computer
1 Like

Hi chickenputty, I tried to upload a game icon on my browser and it worked.

Do you happen to have any ad blockers installed? If so, could you try disabling them on create.roblox.com to see if that fixes the issue? From your screenshot it looks like the initial request failed, but it’s not clear why it failed.

Hi DesiredLion,

Looks like this group icon upload bug is a separate issue that is unrelated to the original post. I’ll share it internally with our engineering team so they can take a look.

1 Like

Hi @DesiredLion,

The group icon upload issue you mentioned has been resolved. Thank you for reporting it!

2 Likes

I have my adblocker disabled for roblox.com and create.roblox.com. It works on my 3rd PC which uses the same Chrome profile & extensions. It doesn’t work on my 1st or 2nd PC which uses the same Chrome profile & extensions.

Also, it fails on my 1st PC on Firefox for the exact same CORs error in console. However, works on Edge.

1 Like

Now uploading on Edge does not work. I logged out of my alternative account and into my main account. Tried to upload a 1024x1024 329kb file, and received the error. It is almost like it is related to my account, the group, the icon resolution, the icon size, or something. However, the same CORs error is present in console. Maybe Edge was ok with the domain at first and now after relogging into a new account it cached the domain differently. No idea, but this is a huge slowdown for our team.

This error still happens to me, sometimes I do not wish to create a new badge

1 Like

I am no longer able to replicate the error. It appears to be fixed on all 3 browsers for me. Thank you everyone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.