"Cannot open place file for read.: iostream stream error" When Opening Up Multiple Local Place Files

Reproduction Steps

Direct Links: None. It happens in my local directory for when I open any set of local place files.

System Information: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics, 16.0GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

Beta Features enabled: Accessory Fitting Tool, CSG Version 3, Channel Animations, Material Service, New Mesh Importer, New Text Chat Service, Particle Flipbooks, Pathfinding Links, Volumetric Sounds

Reproduction Files: Sent Privately.

Expected Behavior

In my case, I have two different .rbxl files that have been used before to publish to the same Place on the roblox website(Infectious Smile). Say place 1 is “infectioussmile.rbxl” and place 2 is “infectioussmile2.rbxl”. If I have place 1 open, and then I try to open place 2, I get the ““Cannot open place file for read.: iostream stream error””.

Actual Behavior

Pop up error saying:

Sorry, this place could not be loaded. Details: “Cannot open place file for read.: iostream stream error”

If you continue to encounter this error, please report it on the Developer Forum.

Incident ID: 490091305472745114

Workaround

I have to open one of the rbxl files at a time. If I wanted to transfer assets between the two, I’d
1)open the first place,
2)paste the needed assets into a ctrl+n new rbxl file,
3) close the first place
4) open the second rbxl place
5) paste the assets into the second rbxl place from the new place
6) close the ctrl+n new rbxl file
7) done.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 0202-04-29 00:04:00 (-05:51)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-05-15 00:05:00 (-05:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

8 Likes

Same error this is going on about 3 weeks or so now I think and still hasn’t resolved. I have tried many thing to fix this but nothing seems to work, including total uninstall/ manual removal of studio and reinstall, changed to security for file permission etc…

I can open the files from a folder by double clicking/open them but once I have a studio running I can’t open the RBXL place files from the menu anymore

9b8b35d37695a3a9a0522ef9923a9bc4

2 Likes

Can you upload these two files to GDrive/similar and send them to the bug files group for a repro? Also, please review the pinned threads in #bug-reports and also send the necessary information for investigation like log files / etc.

FWIW this is reproducible by opening a baseplate or local file, and then going via File > Open from File and choosing any other local file. I think this was reported a week or two ago in another thread, but I couldn’t find it last time I looked. Don’t need OP’s files.

Not able to repro with those steps:

2 Likes

I did submit a crash log in the bug report form, let me know if you received that otherwise I can send it again.

As for repro, you need to publish both local files to any same game on the website and then re-open both local files. In my case, only one of them opens correctly and the other one gives me the IO error.

Can you upload these two files to GDrive/similar and send them to the bug files group for a repro?

If this was directed to me, I did upload two files in the associated private message. If that didn’t work, where exactly do I contact the bug files group?

The PM isn’t showing up attached to the bug report. Can you DM the link to the PM to me?

Edit: nevermind, our forum admins were able to point me to it

1 Like

This issue happens every time to me as well. Here is a video recording in case it helps.
Note: As mentioned by others, it doesn’t matter which file I open because the result is the same.

Thanks everyone for the help investigating this. We were able to identify the cause, and it looks like this only happens for local place files with spaces in their names. Until we’re able to fix this, you can work around it by using underscores/CamelCase/etc in filenames instead

13 Likes

I’ve changed the name of the file and still having this issue.

5 Likes

Most of the time my files dont have spaces.

I edit a group game i made, open a local file from File> recents games while still editing the other game, and i get this error,

Incident id: 6207262380942586491

filenames like Rigs.rbxl and Baseplate.rbxl

Instead i have to press open from roblox to open the home, and choose from those recent files.

Why Teturn.rbxl works idk, is it cause of the amogus?

1 Like

Same here doesn’t matter about spaces in the names, still get the error. The only thing on my side that I thought may have anything to do with this was onedrive but I have disabled this and it still an issue. but studio was working fine with it before just started this after one the studio updates

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this regardless of spaces in the name or not. It’s been happening for months.

1 Like

Spaces seemed to be the issue for me, so thank you very much for the solution!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.