Can't Update or Install ROBLOX

I can’t successfully update/install ROBLOX since the most recent update.

When I tried to update it, the Update popup comes up and seems to update. However, once the progress bar reaches 100%, it just sits there and hangs. Nothing happens. When I exit out and try to update again, the same thing happens.

I tried to delete ROBLOX, clear my chache, dnsflush, etc., and then reinstall. Same exact issue happened, except with the Install popup rather than Update popup.

I didn’t find anything useful in the logs. The only interesting thing I found was in the ‘rbxcsettings.rbx’ file, which contained the following content:
rbx_evt_fmp=RBX_NOT_VALID&rbx_evt_ftp=RBX_NOT_VALID&rbx_evt_initial_install_start={“os” : “Win32”}&rbx_evt_initial_install_success=RBX_NOT_VALID&

Running Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy laptop. Pretty standard and usual setup. Nothing wild. Let me know if more info is needed. Not sure if this is only an issue with myself or more people are having this issue too.

Edit: Clarification – Studio DOES work.

2 Likes

Anyone have a fix for this? Still can’t get this to work. Log file:

09-28-2014 16:18:09.63 CLauncher::SetKeyValue key = rbx_evt_initial_install_start, val = RBX_NOT_VALID path = C

1 Like

Welcome to the club, I’ve found no source of this problem. Sometimes my Roblox works, sometimes it doesn’t.

1 Like

I’ve never had this happen before. Everything I’ve tried has failed. Nothing fixes this issue for me. I’ve literally cleared every trace of ROBLOX from my computer and have tried installing it again. I’ve tried Win7 Compatibility mode, running installer as Administrator, checking firewall settings, trying it over a different network, etc. Nothing works! Very frustrating.

Clear your temporary files folder (Start, Run, [tt]%TEMP%[/tt]), then grab the latest version of the launcher and run it.

http://deploy.roblox.com/version-2c1f992c1a264ecc-RobloxPlayerLauncher.exe

In the temp folder, check the “RBX-(numbers).log” file.

I’ve had this problem for a while, we had a thread in the Client section.
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/client-bug-reports/9035-roblox-won-t-update

If you leave the player window open long enough, it’ll probably work. It’s not optimal, though.

[quote] I’ve had this problem for a while, we had a thread in the Client section.
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/client-bug-reports/9035-roblox-won-t-update

If you leave the player window open long enough, it’ll probably work. It’s not optimal, though. [/quote]

Yeah, leaving the installer window up for like 5 minutes eventually worked. Still doesn’t seem to join games though. Really weird. Nice to know others are having similar issues though.

CyberHusky88 has been having issues with his Roblox recently as well.

Please post the installer logs by following these steps:

[quote]1. Go to the Temp folder (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp)
2. Close the browser
3. Remove all files that start with “RBX-”
4. Open the browser again, hit Play, wait until installer finish running.
5. Zip all files that start with “RBX-” in Temp folder (hitting Play should create some) and upload a zip file here? (you should be able to do it in a confidential section)[/quote]

1 Like

[quote] 1. Go to the Temp folder (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp)
2. Close the browser
5. Zip all files that start with “RBX-” in Temp folder (hitting Play should create some) and upload a zip file here? (you should be able to do it in a confidential section) [/quote][/quote]

Logs

[quote] Please post the installer logs by following these steps:

2. Close the browser
5. Zip all files that start with “RBX-” in Temp folder (hitting Play should create some) and upload a zip file here? (you should be able to do it in a confidential section) [/quote][/quote]

Logs
[/quote]

Was this from a run where it seems to hang? Does it eventually finish? If so can you wait until it finish and send me the logs again.

[quote] [quote=“RoboYZ” post=101540]Please post the installer logs by following these steps:

2. Close the browser

Logs
[/quote]

Was this from a run where it seems to hang? Does it eventually finish? If so can you wait until it finish and send me the logs again.[/quote]

It did hang there. However, I’ve done it before and yes it eventually finishes. I’ll wait for it to finish and then post again here with those logs.

Logs

Try to join a game. Sometimes it’ll download a new launcher but open the joining window anyway. As long as that window pops up, it’s fine. Leave it there for 10-15 minutes. Eventually it launches for me.

Having to wait 10-15 minutes for a game to launch is still unacceptable–I’d still consider that to be broken. I’ve redownloaded the launcher multiple times. I’ve even gone to the extent of deleting ROBLOX from my machine, including its registries.

Having to wait 10-15 minutes for a game to launch is still unacceptable–I’d still consider that to be broken. I’ve redownloaded the launcher multiple times. I’ve even gone to the extent of deleting ROBLOX from my machine, including its registries.[/quote]

So far the only fix I’ve found: I installed a second OS on my computer to use Roblox, rather annoying, thankfully I have an SSD so reboot time is only 1-2 minutes.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon, I’m having the same problems on my second OS, I guess it’s just Game Development at the Maker Faire this weekend.

Update for you guys:
After you spend forever letting roblox update, it’s possible to run from the command prompt! :smiley:
So I wrote a tiny lua program to do that. Attached if anyone wants it.
Has both an exe file and a lua file. All you do is paste the placeid into it. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: i just realized this has /my/ filepath instead of the global one. oops.
This one should work globally.

I’ve still got this issue, I’ve had it for over a month now. If I copy up-to-date Roblox version files from friends, I can launch games using Clonetrooper’s Roblox for Steam launcher.

Today a new version of the client came out, so I went to play a game normally to see what happens when Roblox updates. The update bar filled all the way up, I waited a couple minutes and still nothing, so I cancelled it and tried using Clone’s launcher, it gave me this error when I tried to launch my game:

Yeah still won’t work for me either