Captures APIs are now available!

We don’t have a timeline that we can share right now, but enabling users to share content with their friends on the platform is definitely something that’s on our radar!

18 Likes

Where can a user find their “Captures Gallery”?

13 Likes

this is answered in FAQ

8 Likes

Live images. What a way to go to sleep!

10 Likes
  • Go to the Roblox menu on the upper left of your screen
  • Select Captures from the top menu
  • From the Captures menu, tap on any captured screenshots to view them in a carousel
12 Likes

Hope to see this expanded to more platforms and video in general. With that in mind, I hope the quality of recording is better than what Roblox currently has for the in-game Roblox settings menu.

I ran into the lack of recording functionality, and I guess platform support too, when I remade the Roblox escape menu. I ran into some other issues, but that experiment of mine led many to comment about forcing players into interactions. (Such as what we can now do with screenshots)

-Edit Escape Menu - #12 by Reditect

14 Likes

We are planning to expand the Captures feature to desktop soon.

16 Likes

:camera_flash: :star_struck: this response cannot adequately capture my enthusiasm for this feature! :camera: :heart_eyes:

27 Likes

This is the location where the capture can be found: * Go to the Roblox menu on the upper left of your screen

• Select Captures from the top menu
  • From the Captures menu, tap on any captured screenshots to view them in a carousel
7 Likes

Now all you need to do is allow us to retrieve those images after the fact via script in a form of an image ID. Imagine snapchat in-game and now getting left on open IRL and on Roblox

10 Likes

This is something I would love to do!

5 Likes

So from my understanding, saved images are inside of Gallery within the Roblox app, which would be a bit problematic for PC users, what if I just want it saved to my device instead? for example I want to view some kind of map or information that’d be useful for me later but I can’t view it because it’s within the Roblox app and I can’t open the Gallery while playing a game right?

Can you tell me more about the feature and what can be done for this kind of use case?

Also a video capturing feature would be extremely useful for reporting bugs/glitches and also exploiters for each specific game

4 Likes

Enabling video Captures too is definitely something we are looking forward to, this is actually something our team begun prototyping as part of Hack Week last year :slight_smile:. We don’t have a concrete timeline but it’s something we are working towards!

15 Likes

Are the any plans to add an API to allow capturing a screenshot from a given Camera Instance, not just the currently active camera?

16 Likes

This is a neat feature, but I think that limiting it to screenshots only is holding it from what it can be. If users had the ability to like capture the last 30 seconds in game and share like a cool moment, or a funny moment, or a funny bit that’s happening in game I could see this feature be used and shared even more than it is currently. There’s some games that could benefit from this but it doesn’t make sense because it only supports screenshots and it wouldn’t make sense to implement this in games in its current state.

6 Likes

An error will be thrown if the user is not able to share content (i.e it’s not supported or their privacy settings do not allow this). The developer can check the new PolicyService IsContentSharingAllowed field to avoid this error.

This does not seem to actually exist yet? At least not in Studio.

5 Likes

Will we be able to write the captures to a DynamicImage in the future? And will we be able to capture from a specific camera instance in the future?

5 Likes

you can write to dyn images

6 Likes

I knew this was comming out! I wanted this as well and it came out

5 Likes

How temporary are the given ContendIDs of the captures?
Would they get deleted after the Player leaves the experience or persist throughout?
Are they also considered an Image asset type to be used in places such as ImageFrames or Decals?

3 Likes