Edit Escape Menu

Well they don’t have to make it so we could remove those buttons, instead they could make them customisable as with the chat.

2 Likes

Hey there, In my opinion it should be added because Developer’s should be able to gain full access to the UI style of their game. In addition a modern hamburger menu doesn’t fit with a rpg menu. BUT developer’s shouldn’t be able to remove descendants from the escape menu. Otherwise scammers might abuse this feature for their own profits. (Deleting report and leave button etc.).

For example If I am trying to make a survival game and all of my UI is ready but the hamburger menu kinda ruins the whole UI Design. The missing UI’s can be checked while publishing the game.

2 Likes

This has too many loop holes. If you allow people to edit the buttons, then whats to stop them from making the buttons to leave and report impossibly small? I think the best idea would be to just allow developers to edit the color scheme of the menu and add new options, nothing else.

7 Likes

I personally feel like this should definitely be added. I’m working on a game with a friend of mine and the ability to make custom pause menus would be insanely useful.

3 Likes

5 years later, still nothing.
This is my concept.

There would be something in the Explorer called “PauseMenu”. If you set the “MenuMode” property to Custom, you could then select a ScreenGui in “MenuUI”.

If MenuMode is set to custom, the unimportant stuff would get removed. The RLR (Reset Character, Leave and Resume) buttons would be surrounded by a transparent, rounded frame. That would then put the stuff from the UI set in MenuUI into the ESC Menu. The RLR buttons would be on top of the UI set by the developer, so that he/she cannot block off the leave button.

About reporting… Wouldn’t a report button in the top right do the job well?

Oh my, this reply is long.

This is the overall result.
Without Report:

With Report:

Do you think this is a good idea?

17 Likes

That idea is awesome, but it does run into some issues. Developers can replicate most functionality in the Roblox Escape Menu, as I’ve tried, but there are some things we can’t do. This means that UI, that cannot be ‘deleted’, must be included in this theoretical replacement of an escape menu.

Here’s the pause menu in a game of mine:

Here's my notes:

Roblox’s ‘People’ tab:

• The game is single-player and I’m using a custom character. Obsolete.

Roblox’s ‘Help’ tab:

• My ‘Controls’ menu makes Roblox’s not-editable ‘Help’ menu obsolete.

Roblox’s ‘Report’ tab:

• There’s no need to report other players because it’s a single-player game. And, I can’t exactly make a system for reporting my own game. Also, players can report my game on the ‘landing page’ of my game.

Roblox’s ‘Settings’ tab:

• My ‘Options’ menu hosts various settings relevant to the game. The reasons someone would need to go to Roblox ‘Settings’ menu, in my game, are to do the following:
    • Change ‘Experience Language’, which I think I can program myself and make an option for.
    • Change ‘Camera Sens-’, which I could do myself.
    • Change ‘Graphics mode’, which I can not do myself.
    • Change ‘Graphics Quality’, which I can not do myself. However, there’s a keybind for it.
    • Turn on ‘Performance Stats’, but this can be done with a keybind. Not sure if I can open this with code myself.
    • Turn on ‘Micro Profiler’, this does not have a keybind to my knowledge, and I’m not sure if I can toggle it myself with code.

Roblox’s ‘Record’ tab:

• I don’t have it implemented yet, but you can force players into screenshot UI already. This makes 50% of the ‘Record’ tab obsolete.
  • You cannot force players into a recording UI, as of right now.

Other Stuff:

• I disabled the ‘Reset’ button, it’s obsolete.
  • I have my own ‘Leave’ and ‘Resume’ button, Roblox’s is some-what obsolete.

I’ve researched this stuff quite a bit: Roblox Menu Remake | Answering: What can and can't developers do on Roblox?

I feel there’s a solution, or multiple ones for different things, here other than stopping people from editing the Roblox Escape Menu.

Building on this idea, what if when you input a UI to replace the default pause menu within the PauseMenuService properties, it requires you to have a button named “Leave” or “Leave Game” or something in the UI. Similar to how Tools need a part within them named “Handle” in order to work.

This would allow more customization and still prevent people from making “Unleavable” games.

Also would need a few more checks to make sure the button is actually clickable. Like have minimum size requirements and not allowed for it to have visible set to false.

There are lots of issues with this idea but I felt it’s worth putting out there.

2 Likes

Very convenient for you but not the developer who wants to use the ESC key for something else or make their own menu that FITS their own theme.

Its better for all roblox players, a majority of which are younger kids. Imagine how easy it would be to trick a kid into giving up their account details, etc? They press escape but are taken to a fake escape menu, they think they leave the game and open a fake roblox page. Then they can be asked for their password, credit card number, name, address, or anything.

I can toatlly support being able to at least change the colors of the buttons, but really, theres too much of a security risk for anything else.

3 Likes

Actually never thought about people trying to do that, so yeah that is a pretty big security risk.

Maybe if this ever was a thing, to customize the Menu UI, maybe it would just be for like designing yk, making it look unique and appealing to the player.

But here is the thing, if Roblox gave permission to the developers to program their Menu UI, I feel like they would have to limit some things because of like you said, security risks.

For example, they would probably have to exclude things such as getting the player’s userId. Also you mention address, name, number, password, and credit card. I am %100 sure that not even the dumbest person alive could do that while creating their custom Menu UI, after all it’s a menu, why would people want your name, credit card, id, etc. when your just tackling with the settings of the game? It isn’t possible to get anyones address in roblox either, im super sure of that. But still, customzing the Menu UI would be a great thing to be on the platform, and I wish Roblox could of done it any sooner.

2 Likes

So you’re under the assumption that every young kid is possibly a dumb idiot? You’re pretty much acting as a backend developer. You do realise that this is Roblox, people already try to get children to give up account details and they soon realise there’s nothing worth on their account to steal.

Also not sure how easy it is to manipulate a child when the Roblox Icon is still visible top left especially when most people who do try to hack children don’t have the mental capacity to create an accurate representation of the Roblox Login page inside Roblox Studio and script it at the same time.

This was insanely simple to make, and there are 100% ways to make it more convincing.

And you’re under the assumption that kids will actively choose to play sketchy new games that have a dislike rating of absolute 0, Roblox Support can also get your account back if you have proof of receipts from Robux purchases and multiple other stuff. You must also realise that children barely make up 60% of the player base and that is made up of only people under 13. 13+ users will have the mental capacity of not entering their sensitive information when the Roblox Icon is top left especially when you’re taught so at such a young age. Cyber security 101.

You can say these things all you want, the fact is, some people will be tricked if a system such as I described above was implemented. It’s better just to lock it down, and make it standard across all roblox games.

1 Like

I was quite thinking of buttons having a size limit. This idea would be great in my opinion.

There would have to be a check to see if it was getting covered up by UI.

This could be another option for MenuMode instead.

1 Like

I actually think this is the best idea so far, however I’d move the report button so that its next to the context buttons, which in turn makes it easier to find

GuiService:SetDefaultMenuEnabled?

(i also forgot to add the X button in the corner but the topbar is a seperate GUI element to the setting shield)

5 Likes

Moving the report button is a great step. But, what of the following?

• graphics quality settings
  • fullscreen toggle
  • recording

I think all functionality can be replicated by developers other than the ones I listed above.

We’d need these things to be accessible to the average developer or a way to access them from that UI. There’s quite a lot to get through with this idea, I find it very interesting.

I think this would be a great thing to be able to have for us Developers, but i dont agree with changing how the ui style is, like shape-wise and what not, just aspects like Color, editing/adding UIStroke, editing/adding UICorner, and probably some others as well, i think roblox would probably make that “do-able”, but then again they might not. Who knows! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry for reviving the topic but I think I upgraded the custom menu idea a little bit? Here is a remix of your picture.

I didn’t spend that much time on the picture (five minutes), so it is not very pretty.

If you wanted to change regular Roblox settings, you would go to the regular Roblox Menu, while other stuff (custom game settings, custom help menu, feedback menu and the stuff in @Reditect’s pause menu (#12) would go in the custom menu.

I think that this is a great improvement if a custom pause menu feature was added.

I saw this and a simple solution would be some sort of requirement to have this in your game, like a 75%+ like ratio, 2000 likes, 15000 visits, verified badge, minimum creator place visits, warning/ban history of creator, etc.

Maybe even 13+ account to see it by default, so that people under 13 would have to press a button to see the custom menu?

Also, there could be an option in the report menu to report the custom pause menu of a game (I would make an image showing this but I’m not feeling like doing that right now) which could help stop malicious things from occuring.

I don’t know, maybe a setting in your Account Settings somewhat like “Show Custom Menu by default” which can be changed?

Please let me know if this is better than before.

2 Likes

I’ve done too much research on this issue for almost no reason, I don’t think it’s happening. :sweat_smile:

This doesn’t solve the issue of multiple settings menus, which is bad UX.

Roblox is already doing this somewhat. Creators can upload more audio if they ID Verify their age. I dislike the idea of gatekeeping features though. Everyone should have access to something like this, all players and developers.

Interesting idea and a must if this [an editable menu] is implemented. Adding onto this, Roblox should have to check if the game has a custom menu first, before allowing that option to show up in the report menu. False reports shouldn’t happen with this.

That kinda defeats the purpose of editing the menu in my mind.

If there’s an API developers can tap into to see that player’s setting for that, then we would be able to show them a different UI. But then why not just have the menus as they are now? Separate.

How the Playdate does it:

Somewhat recently I looked into making games for a small handheld device called the Playdate. They solved this issue of editing a pause menu by letting developers add a max of 3 settings to it: https://sdk.play.date/2.1.1/Inside%20Playdate.html#m-menu.addMenuItem

It is limited by design, only allowing set value types, but I think something similar to this is the only way Roblox will let developers edit the Roblox Menu.

With the recently released Accessibility Settings, I’d say the idea of adding more to the settings menu isn’t entirely off the table. It might get to a point where it’s too cramped though.

Regarding recording functionality, maybe this new Captures feature will allow for recording:

I don’t think the Capture feature will work without the Roblox Menu though. We do have this, but it’s not for video recording: New Selfie Mode Developer Module.