Change materials faster with the new Material Picker [Beta]

Did you restart Studio after enabling the beta? Do you think you could send a list of which other betas you’re currently enrolled in? Thanks!

2 Likes

Same thing for me as well. I tried enabling Material Generator to see if that caused it, but it still doesnt work. The ribbon layout is also the old one, and not the updated one as seen in the preview video:

This feature looks cool though. Ive seen a lot of people complain about material manager taking up a lot of space, so this is definitely a welcome change. Although I just naturally switched to using the dropdown in properties to change materials, seeing the new menu there would be cool.

EDIT: Nevermind the ribbon layout. I was on the Home tab instead of Model lol

4 Likes

I might be influenced by having used Roblox for over 5 years but I eventually come to know the materials by name. Often to set a specific material for instance, I can just click on the dropdown, type “Me” (for Metal) and I don’t even have to look at the dropdown.

Having to manually search through a list of materials that is much less than the current condensed one seems like a hassle more than a blessing. However I am a scripter so I might not have as much of a need for visuals as people who solely do modelling/building

2 Likes

It’s not quite the same, but there is also an option to view the Materials as a list, using the toggle in the top-right corner, just FYI!

5 Likes

I can second this, exact same problem even after fully rebooting

1 Like

I’ve seen the button (couldn’t try it for myself because I’m experiencing a bug with the beta), but it’s still not as condensed as the current one. As an example to compare with the existing one: image.

And this doesn’t address the fact that there is probably no possibility to quick assign a material with your keyboard, which is probably a 0.1% niche thing but still a very convenient feature I think.

However, is this dropdown gonna be implemented for MaterialVariants? Since variants often differ per-game & per-material, I would absolutely love this dropdown on the Variants part.

1 Like

Wow, having the material picker accessible from the ribbon! New and innovative! /s

On a serious note, I’m glad this is back and like the new previewing feature. Nice job

2 Likes

Yup! One cool thing you can do now is load in a custom material pack, and quickly hover over the materials to preview them.

10 Likes

That is awesome, I love this!

To conclude, if you do proceed with implementing this new list into properties, try to look into maybe a super-condensed version without the images (or at least a way to be able to go down to the letter you type, e.g. “M” would take you to “Marble”)

Thank you for your time!

2 Likes

:happy3: Nice!! I like how it’s similar to the old menu. I really liked the original material picker and I’m glad that the experience will almost be the same! :happy2:

Thank you for adding this!

1 Like

This is in early stages! Stay tuned for more updates on this front later down the road.

10 Likes

You could achieve this with a custom plugin.

I think the old method will be easier still, but I am glad some people like it!

the old material picker is back and better :bulb:

2 Likes

Thanks for this new beta feature! A suggestion from me. Currently in the properties tab when you click on the dropdown for materials and type out the material you want to choose, it will choose that material for you and all you have to do is press enter. Im not sure if this has already been implemented on this pilot version but if not, I feel it could help a lot of other developers access their materials quicker with this new beta version. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Same here. Just enabled it, restarted studio, etc. Shows up like this;

3 Likes

Honestly not a bad feature. Better than nothing, but compare to the old one we had in early 2010s.

Yes we didn’t have custom materials, yes it looked bad, but it was very useful. Being able to click on any unlocked part (even if it was inside of a model or no) was very useful.
Would be nice to see something like that being modernized, allowing us to use custom materials & more. As well as a “material picker” that will let us copy another part’s material.

Also since i’m speaking about this, I’d also love seeing a come back for the painting feature for parts. Allowing us to clone colors, & use color3 on it would be nice.

Return Click to color & click to materialize. It never really made any sense they were removed to begin with. It was a very easy way to color parts & materialize them for everybody. Please return that

1 Like

If I’m understanding you correctly, those features still exist! If you toggle “Color Action as Tool”, it will act in a “click to color” way.

Similarly, if you click the paint bucket in the top left of the Material Manager, it will switch your mouse to a state where you can use it to “click to materialize” with your selected material.

Is there any plans on adding colored folders? It would make mine and other developers work much easier…

3 Likes

OHH my bad! how did I just notice this now heh. Okay, I think I was wrong about the picker, was too quick to judge heh. Wonderful, I think it would still be nice to have one for colors as well if you guys are still working on that :slight_smile:
I’ve posted an idea of what I imagined it could look like

Either way the update isn’t bad, I think it’s one of the newest I’ll enjoy in studio, it’s a really nice and easy way to materialize stuff, just haven’t seen the “click to material” feature so I thought it was safe to assume it might never see the day again.

3 Likes